Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Circular Rectangular Lamps

Circular Rectangular Lamps

I made these for my daughters bedroom ( maybe dorm room when she goes off to college ) from 1/4" black acrylic with borg fluorescent diffuser trimmed to fit the panels. They are about 18.5" high and about 5.5" wide. This is my first attempt.

Everything went off pretty well except the light kit I purchased was defective. The first pic is with the lights off and the second is with the lights on. Pics are taken with the BlackBerry camera.

The bulbs are CFL's at 6500ēK - more of a bluish cast than the regular CFL's but went well with the diffuser sold as "cracked ice white."

My laser took about two hours and fifteen minutes to vector at recommended settings from Epilog. That's per lamp.

And I have to thank Frank Corker for the assist with the image. Thanks Frank!

Last edited by Greg Bednar; 02-28-2010 at 9:21 AM.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Great looking lamps. Thanks for posting.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Very slick looking design... retro almost.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

ohhh I like those. Very nice
    Seaside Engraving & Embroidery
    Barudan 1 head embroidery machine
    Epilog Legend 45 watt, CorelDraw 12

Lake Tapawingo, a suburb of Blue Springs, a suburb of Kansas City, MO. The Kansas City you know is in Missouri.
    Very, very cool.
    Are they 4 sided or 3?
    Last edited by Tom Bull; 02-28-2010 at 10:48 AM. Reason: More info, please.
    Tom Bull
    Epilog Legend, x3,X5, photograv, 30 year collection of misc. tools of all kinds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bull View Post
    Very, very cool.
    Are they 4 sided or 3?
    The lamps are 4 sided.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

C'mon, Greg Put file here
    Perfect job!

That is a great job Greg, well done!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Very cool design, Greg - they almost make me carsick, though - perfect for a dorm room.

Is the top open? I don't see light coming from the top. If not, will it get hot even from the CFLs?

That would be a great way to make outdoor walkway lighting, acrylic housing would keep out the weather. Thanks for the pix!

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    Very cool design, Greg - they almost make me carsick, though - perfect for a dorm room.

Is the top open? I don't see light coming from the top. If not, will it get hot even from the CFLs?

That would be a great way to make outdoor walkway lighting, acrylic housing would keep out the weather. Thanks for the pix!

cheers, dee
    The top is open, Dee. The camera angle doesn't show it though. One interesting note, and not planned, is when you reverse the acrylic, the circles reverse direction, as in the photo. Nice to put on either side of the nightstands.

Thanks to you and others for the kind comments.

Nice job Greg. I like them alot.

Here is a link with a down load on the bottom of the page where you can grab the files to make some other ones. Click on the thumbnails to see the different designs. They are not as nice as Greg's but someone might like to play with them. Not sure that they give the files for all shown.

http://www.solarbotics.com/products/k_pl/resources/

Greg,

Awesome!

Thanks for sharing.

Larry

Thanks!

Nice lamps, thanks for sharing.
    ULS VersaLaser 3.5 30W Rotary & HPDFO

The Clock

I made this clock bezel to go with the lamps for the daughter.

Excellent Greg, that would look good in the same room as the lamps. Another fine design well done.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender