Thread: Plexiglass/lexan help...

Plexiglass/lexan help...

Can you turn plexi/lexan? Does it turn the same as acrylics or does it crack and chip? Just curious if anyone has turned it before and what your experience was... I had an idea to use some plexi in a segmented turning and I don't want to waste the time gluing the blank up if it won't work.

I do know though past experiences in flat work that I can cut and sand plexi with normal power tools, I can glue it(with the right adhesive),I can veneer it and I can finish back to clear(not really hard, but still not fun). I just don't know how lathe tools will cut it.

I might just bite the bullet and glue up like a pen blank and just see how it goes. But i would still like to hear from someone that has experience with the stuff.

Sure you can turn the Plexiglas (acrylic). It's a bit more "chippy" because it's a bit harder than the polyurethanes which are soft and slick. The Lexan (polycarbonate) might turn a bit better.

I turned some plexiglas the other night for a washer in my telescope stand, and other than the fact it was a bit unsupported and chattered a bit, it turned fine..

Might be better to scrape it than try to cut it though...
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 02-27-2010 at 10:07 PM.

Good to hear thanx Jim.
    I plan to use it as an accent so it will be supported and most likely I will scrape to finish.