Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scrub Oak Burl

WOW!

That's one gorgeous burl and the form you have so far looks like it fits it perfectly!

Can't wait to see it finished!

MMc

Geeze Curt, that's very nice! Looks like I need to spend some time in the foothills this spring

Fantastic wood find! And looks like you're getting the most out of it. You are turning it with a Leatherman too aren't you?
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

That's great...in fact it is so nice that if it were me I would spring for a bowsaw for my buddy and send him out to retrieve more!

Very nice score. The initial turning looks good, I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Great find, great friend, great start, great photos in progress, and great gloat. If you do a quick search for "folding hand saws" you can see several different models starting for around $16 at Sears. Might make a nice gift for your friend. You know just in case he runs into another find like this.
    Who knew your could have so much fun with such a small chunk of wood

Great form and finish!!........oh wait, you ain't done yet

Can't wait to see the final product...don't slip with the hollowing rig
    Officially Retired!!!!!!!! Woo-Hoo!!!

1,036 miles NW of Keith Burns

I wondering how this turned out.

Well you shouldn't need an air hose to blow out the shavings! Break out the packing tape!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

This is an old post from 2010 that has gotten rejuvenated, but I can't seem to find the post where I showed finished pics of this burl. So I'll just re-post them here. This is one of very few pieces I've ever sold for any kind of 'real' money and I regret selling it. I've hiked the foothills and searched a lot of scrub oak and never seen another burl like this. Seeing it again makes me wish I still had it.

G Oak Burl HF 3.jpgG Oak Burl HF 2.jpgG Oak Burl HF 1.jpg

Curt - here is your original thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...orm&highlight=

Hope you can find some more wood just like it one of these days! Sure is one of a kind!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!