Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #18 "Rustic Ripples" - Claro

This one calls to be touched

John,
    Your work is amazing. The other pieces I've seen from you are beautiful in a showroom way. This piece to me says come pick me up. The inside hollow and the lip, I think are what does it. So maybe that classifies it as "rustic" or "raw" But I could see this actually being used on a daily basis.
    The only critique i would offer is that I'd like to see a deeper re-curve on the outside. It is almost straight, I think that would set off the lip a little more. Though as a look closer, picture #2 which would probably be a normal viewing angle for something on a coffee table looks about right.
    Great piece, good save. The beads look good and you have quite a touch for interesting rims. Thanks for posting – very inspiring.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make something of this quality soon.

John,
    Great save and re-design. We all have done it a time or two. It is great to take on challenging woods and you have come out the winner on this one. Great job on a fine looking bowl with character.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Nice bowl, John. Of course I like the ogee form, and love the uncomplicated rim. To be honest, I'm not crazy about the beads, though. But hey, experimentation is half the fun of turning.

Well done, and I can't wait to see number 19.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I still think it's nice work.
    Donny

John,
    I sense you making the woodturner's biggest mistake - "apologizing" before anyone complains.
    The bowl looks very nice, and remember, IT'S WOOD. It doesn't always do what we want it to.

I LIKE the beads.
    Change One Thing

Thanks a lot, guys. Ms. Keeton and I have formulated a plan to get rid of some bowls. We are inviting all the kids out tomorrow nite, feeding them (sometimes have to do that to get them to visit!!), and letting them pick a bowl or two. Then, I will have room for more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    Well John it looks like you are enjoying the Claro that I couldn't buy because you got it all. Just kidding.
    Bernie, Mike told me he is working on a deal for 7,000 bd ft of Claro!!! I told him I just didn't have room for that much! I do love the stuff - it turns so well, and finishes nice. Seems to always have figure and character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    I hope you don't get the DT's this weekend

Tony
    Tony, I couldn't stand it - already have the lower portion of #19 done!! Is there help out there for someone like me????

Quote Originally Posted by George Guadiane View Post
    ...and remember, IT'S WOOD. It doesn't always do what we want it to.

I LIKE the beads.
    George, thanks. I have concluded that each blank actually has a mind of its own. I talk to them, plead with them, even yell at them occasionally - never seems to help!