Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burl Gloat!!

Burl Gloat!!

I receive a call today from a man that works with my brother about the possibility of making two bowls for him in exchange for this burl he had. This is a picture of the little burl. I should get more than 12 bowls from it. His estimate is that it weighs in around 600 pounds. It looks just like the oak burl I had last year. He is going to even bring it to my shop.
    Jack
    imageimage

looks like you need a new coreing system , looks like a good deal to me .

Definitely use a coring system. That would give you about 48 bowls.

Big congrats!!!!!!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Great gloat Jack.
    That is one huge burl to me..
    Congrats on the score.

Thanks guy's, I do plan on coring this bad boy. I can see 3 maybe 4 sets of bowls like this set I did last year.
    Jack

great gloat, great nest

Great gloat and a nice looking set of nested bowls. Follow up pics of the burl and finished products would be greatly appreciated.

Now that is a heck of a great gloat! You lucky dog....and delivered too...Bill...

Hey Jack, what's his name? I am going to offer 3 bowls for it.

Congrats Jack.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jack, after seeing that nested set, that burl is meant for you!! That is one huge chunk of wood, but if it produces bowls like the others - WOW!!

11. Fine gloat and nice set of bowls. Did you core them while green and finished them later? What coring system did you use on the set?

Thanks everyone. Kevin, I use the oneway system to core my bowls. I turn them to finish thickness green and let them dry.
    Jack

Whats Corring

I have a walnut burl about a quarter to 1/3 that size. Been wondering what to do with it. Have never used one and have only turned pens so far. Whats coring? Is there any special way to slice these things up? Is there a tutorial on the creek someplace?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mincey View Post
    I receive a call today from a man that works with my brother about the possibility of making two bowls for him in exchange for this burl he had. This is a picture of the little burl. I should get more than 12 bowls from it. His estimate is that it weighs in around 600 pounds. It looks just like the oak burl I had last year. He is going to even bring it to my shop.
    Jack

"The best things in life are not things."

Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    I have a walnut burl about a quarter to 1/3 that size. Been wondering what to do with it. Have never used one and have only turned pens so far. Whats coring? Is there any special way to slice these things up? Is there a tutorial on the creek someplace?
    Coring is using a curved blade to cut bowl blanks out of the center of a larger blank. See Jack's picture above. That started as one piece. The coring blade cuts down between each bowl so that you save the material in the center instead of just turning it away.

Holy Crap!!! That is amazing!!! And that set of bowls... WOW!!

And I was so excited about my holly gloat... I feel like such a "girlie man"...

wanna trade for some holly? HA!!!