Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Next ?

What Next ?

After the lathe and some turning tools, what was your next lathe accessory purchase? Just trying to prepare myself for the inevitable!
    Last edited by Nick Mastropietro; 02-25-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Well lets see. Sharpening system and face shield would be number one for me.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

A good chuck.

angle sander and maybe a vacuum chuck
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

What Next ?

Hi Bernie - I have a Worksharp 3000, would that sufice as a sharpening system? and I havee a face shield as well.

Curt - what do you think of the Baracuda2 T/N? PSI will have it on sale for 199.95 with a bunch of accessories.

Vacuum Chuck

Dave what do you suggest as a vacuum chuck?

Best Christmas present I ever bought myself was the lathe, and am now on #3 and 4. Next best was as big bandsaw, or was it the centralized dust collection system, or maybe the chainsaws, or the chucks? Not really sure. Don't have a vacuum chuck yet.

robo hippy

The Worksharp 3000 will work, but not as well as several other more common methods for sharpening turning tools. A wolverine jig and 8" grinder with decent wheels will get you better and more consistent results.

The WS3000 is a nice tool, but it's just not real well-suited to sharpening most turning tools easily. It's much better with plane irons and bench chisels.

The PSI chuck you mentioned is a good one, and a pretty good value, considering it also includes a few different jaw sets. But if you can find a Nova or Oneway or Vicmark chuck on sale, one of those would be my recommendation. I've seen recent mentions of the Supernova 2 on sale somewhere for something like $120, but I don't remember where. At that price range, you could get a SN2 with an extra set or two of jaws for about the same as the Barracuda 2, and have a better chuck in the end IMHO. I've owned and used both, and I prefer the Nova.

I'll 2nd Bernie's comments. I just bought my first lathe and turned my first piece last night. It didn't come out great but I didn't expect it to. As I was turning, I could notice my tools becoming dull and my safety glasses fogging up. I have a grinder but didn't dare try to sharpen the tools freehand. When I was done, I went online and bought a faceshield, an aluminum oxide sanding wheel and Wolverine sharpening jig. I also think a woodworkers apron would be a good investment. You get covered with shavings!

It is Woodcraft that has the SN2 on sale. With the #2 jaws, but without the insert, I think it is $120. The insert is about $23. Sometimes the PSI chuck is on sale with all 4 sets of jaws included for about $200 - and, may be now.

I haven't been turning long, but I think you would rarely use all the jaws, and for the money, I would prefer the SN2. I have 2 Nova chucks, and it is so much handier than when I had one. Might even buy another!

I bought the Cole jaws, and I do use them frequently. However, I think I would prefer to make a set with more capacity now that I have the Delta and can run at a slower speed.

I would get a Stebcenter drive, a mandrel for doing Christmas ornaments if you think that may interest you (they are kind of quick and fun!), and I would probably look at a curved tool rest. I ended up with the round bar "S" shaped one from PSI, but do not care for it.

Then, I would NOT get a bunch of other cutting tools until I used the lathe for awhile. I ended up buying a few tools that I never use. Seems a lot of folks end up with 4-5 tools they use all the time, and others have a dozen or more they use. So, I think you need to learn what is going to be right for you and buy more as you learn. I now realize I need a couple more that I didn't think I would need.

I think I would go a slightly different route than some have said. With only the lathe and tools, there are some other basic things you can use. You don't really NEED a chuck, although they are nice to have.

-Get several faceplates. I have some set up with different size glue blocks, that I turn for jamb chucks. One is permanently mounted on a doughnut chuck, etc.

-Get some dust protection...good quality face masks or respirator. Your lungs will thank you.

-Jacobs chuck with morse taper, that you can mount in the tailstock to bore out your blank.

-The worksharp might work for lathe tools, but most folks opt for a Wolverine jig...very fast and convenient.

I all depends upon what you want to make. If you want to make table legs the answer is different than if you want to make a 15" diameter bowl and different again if you want to make a hollow form vase.

Pick a project, and you'll get more useful answers.

The 1642 comes with a large faceplate and a decent live center.

The guys above are right that no matter what you need: safety equipment like a face shield and I would add a respirator (or at least mask to keep the dust out of your nose and lungs); and a good sharpening system.

Tools and work holding devices are the things that are much more project specific.

Got wood??? All that other stuff won't do you much good without some wood.

If you're brand new to all of this, get a 2x4, cut it at 18" and cut that in half lengthwise and practice. Do a search on Craig's list for "firewood" or fire wood"... ya never know what you might find...

Some good answers, some maybe not. As was said about gouges, do some turning and find out what you use and could use if you had. Sets are a waste except for a few pieces. They do let you practice sharpening and can often be adapted to other tasks. And that leads to the second purchase - a grinder and wolverine system.

I also agree about getting a decent chuck. I bought the PSI with the extra jaws and while I do use them on occasion, I also bought their dovetail jaws and find that I greatly prefer the dovetail to serrated ones. that would be the next major purchase after the grinder/jigs.

As to buying multiple face plates, I would suggest buying a tap and using threaded wood for your glue blocks, donut chucks, etc. OR buying some large nuts and epoxying them in a recess in a glue block. I have one face plate and it has only been used once or twice at most. YMMVG
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).