Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Revenge of the shop

John,

Based on your location, it looks like you zigged when you should have zagged.

Seriously, really nice bowl, I love all those growth rings, glad you recovered the shop and I hope it never happens again!

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

WOW!!!

I like turnings with a tale as well, hope you never have to tell that one again!

Nice grain on a nice bowl...

Boy what a way to get wood blanks into your shop!!! Nice work.
    Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Great looking piece. Great ring pattern in that wood.

Wonderful story and a very nice bowl. Glad to know no one was hurt and things are getting back to normal for you.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Great syory, and bowl. I bet you are very glad you weren't working in the sop when this came down.

Thanks everyone! I think I can improve on the bowl, I'll try on the next one. I'm hoping the other blocks do not have the rotten spots in them. I had to leave this bowl thicker than I wanted because I was afraid it was going to come apart at the bad areas.

Fortunately my wife and I were out to dinner when the storm came through. We could not get back to the house because of downed trees and power lines. Over 30 trees down on our road alone. We ended up in a hotel with no power for the night (they gave us a discount). Had to hike in the last half mile the next morning. First thing we saw was a huge pile of doug fir branches covering the driveway and parts of the house. Still did not realize we had been hit. Then we saw the damage to the roof and front. Only later did we notice the shop. What you saw in the pictures is actually the middle third of the tree. It broke off about 40 feet up, top third hit the front of the house, middle third hit the back of the house and ended in the shop. Bottom third remained on the stump. We had no power on our road for 6 days till they could get things cleared enough for the power company to get in.

The house is post & beam construction, the ridge that was hit is a 4" x 16" glue-lam beam. The tree broke it and drove it down about 2' but it held the tree. The crew that did the repair said if it had been a conventional stick built house the tree would have sliced it in half all the way to the floor. Worst thing for my wife was that the furnace was running when it hit. The drywall in the room just under the hit was literally blown off the walls with a corresponding dust cloud. Which got sucked into the return air vent and redistributed throughout the house. What a mess!
    John Trax