Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #17 Chinaberry - the 'tween bowl

#17 Chinaberry - the 'tween bowl

I had plans for another Claro/Curly Maple lidded bowl, but the piece of Claro I cut into just wasn't up to what I wanted. It has some checks/cracks that will go through the bowl. I will end up finishing it out, but I wanted something really nice for the lidded piece. My order from Mike Smith came in today!! Some drop dead gorgeous Claro, so that project is back on track!

But, "between" turnings (thus the 'tween bowl), I needed to feed the addiction. This bowl isn't anything special, but like I said - my demons were crying out for another "fix."
    17-1.jpg17-2.jpg17-3.jpg17-4.jpg17-5.jpg

9.5" x 3". I really like the color of the Chinaberry, and it was easy to turn, but a little "furry" and kind of difficult to get a good sanded finish. The softer areas of the grain want to sand out. I am not sure I would use it again, but, Ms. Keeton likes it, so maybe.

I am still working on form, and trying to develop a feel for what is right. Let me know what you like or don't like about this one. Thanks!!

That is a beauty John. Really like the rim treatment.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I think this one looks really nice... Your better half has got a good eye for turnings it seems.

The color on that piece is really nice, and I like the rim and foot details.

Another sweet bowl John.
    Nice touch on the inside rim detail..

And how come you can post a project while some of us are still at work...

Very nice John. Love the color of that Chinaberry. One question on the rim treatment though. Are you turning the bead with a skew/other tool or are you using a beading tool? Just curious as the bead seems very well executed.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

"I am still working on form, and trying to develop a feel for what is right. Let me know what you like or don't like about this one. Thanks!!"

John, I think you have the form thing down. this bowl is very nice and if Ms Keeton likes it, thats all that matters
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Very nice; seems you can never go wrong with an ogee shape.

John,

I think it looks great. I really like the rim treatment you did on the inside of the bowl. It adds a little flair to it and it matches the bottom really well.

The color looks nice too.

I take it you are keeping the bowl for your wife!

Doug

John, I think that you nailed the form on this one. It looks very nice in the profile shot. The inner bead is interesting and looks great. I much prefer this one to #16! Of course, that is just my opinion.

I hope that the bead does not get worn down or chipped with use, with it being on the inside of the bowl. Do you plan the form around the intended use or the use around the intended form? Of course, the way that you are going, this will probably be in a museum or collection and will never really be used!

Waiting on #18.........
    Last edited by Robert McGowen; 02-25-2010 at 8:20 PM.

Another very nice piece John.I wish I had your tallent.By the way your signiture on the bottom, how do you get that on there?Is it something that you had made up and just put a # on it and stick it to the bottom or what? I like it.
    Donny

Very nice John.

Toney

John, Chinaberry is new to me, very good looking wood. Very interesting detail on this bowl, beaded rim/foot, smooth ogee. Very nice work.

Nice work John! Very pretty wood! Really like the ogee form! Well done!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Very nice John. My wife wants 3.

BTW do you make your little "signature rings" or purchase them?

"The best things in life are not things."

This is very nice John, I love the way the rim came out. Everyone of these out does the one before, can't wait to see them when you hit that #100 mark.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green