Thread: Which Pepper Grinder?

Which Pepper Grinder?

I want to make a pepper grinder( 8-12" tall), and I'm wanting to know which grinding mechanism you guys prefer. Thanks,

Matt

I use the Crush Grind mechanism. While they are expensive, it is a very good grinder and the kit gives you a lot of flexibilty in the final height as you can trim the stem to the proper length.

Crush grind. It has ceramic grinders, grinds nice and smooth.

Crush grind for me too.

Which pepper grinder

And all this time, I thought stainless steel was the best. ceramic grinders will chip and break, wont they? Max

I use the crush grind and also the ceramic for a salt grinder.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Harvey..I broke one with a hammer once on purpose but IIRC they come with a 'lifetime guarantee'

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Harvey..I broke one with a hammer once on purpose but IIRC they come with a 'lifetime guarantee'

I've only made one, but used the crush grind from woodcraft. IIRC it said 25 year guarantee. At my age(57) it might be just about the same.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

One more vote for Crush Grind. I have the first mill that I made 3 years ago and it still works like new. I have made more than a dozen since for gifts and sale and all recipients are very happy with them.
    Always drink upstream of the herd.

Do most use a stem with the crush grind mechanism or the stemless ones.

I guess one advantage to the stemless is that you are not limiting the size of the mill and you do not have a knob sticking out the top. Maybe a disadvantage would be filling the mill?

I have heard a lot of people using the chef specialties mills as well. Opinions on those?

I have not made any pepper mills yet but plan on it in the coming months.

thanks,
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    And all this time, I thought stainless steel was the best. ceramic grinders will chip and break, wont they? Max
    Stainless steel is soft and will wear in a grinding application. Ceramic is better for this application because it is so wear resistant. There is no impact loading in this application, so there should not be any chipping or cracking.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author