Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Corer

Wood Corer

http://www.shop.woodcut-tools.com/section.php?xSec=11

Has anybody ever used this system? Do you think there are better ones out there?

Thanks,
    Ray

Haven't used that one Ray but have the Oneway system. I used it twice so far and really like it. Easy to use.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Ray - one of the guys in our turning club has one and used it all the time. One thing to be aware of is that it cuts only one shape.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thanks for the replies. Would you recommend the One Way, or McNaughton over this?

I like the McNaughton. I bought it precisely because it doesn't limit the shape I can core out.

Thanks Frank, one vote for McNaughton, any others?

I like the McNaughton. It has more than paid for it's self with the cored out bowls that would otherwise be shavings.
    Robbo Hippy has a great video, so does Mike Mahoney.
    The McNaughton takes some getting used to, and I would think your lathe would need maybe at least 2hp. if you want to core large bowls.
    My lathe has 3hp.

Ray,

For bowl coring, you really need a Crown 1" bowl gouge.... Just kidding..
    I have both the McNaughton and the Oneway systems and several different sizes (2 for McNaughton and 3 for the Oneway). They really each have positives and negatives. Here goes.

The McNaughton gives you greater flexibility in terms of shape of the cores. The learning curve on it is longer than that of the Oneway, but it is an excellent system that can use a laser attachment to let you know where you are.

The Oneway tends to give you more limited shapes, but they tend to be very nice, rounded ones. You can use a live center on the tailstock to steady the piece while you are coring which is easier on you and whatever you are using to hold the original bowl. The learning curve is substantially shorter than that of the McNaughton.

When I was asking about the different coring systems, the tech support people at Craft Supplies told me the following.

Learning curve: Woodcut, Oneway, McNaughton

Versatility: McNaughton, Oneway, Woodcut.

Price: Woodcut, McNaughton, Oneway.

If I were forced to sell/discard one of mine (I have two sets of each), I might be tempted to sell the Oneway and keep the McNaughton. Incidentally, I prefer the Oneway to the McNaughton on my DVR and vversa on my Powermatic. Question of torque.

Regards, Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

Hilel,

You know what! I just happen to have a 1" bowl gouge...thanks Well the "substantial learning curve" statement has just about convinced me to go with the Oneway. I am too old to learn too many new tricks, and never was a quick learner. It sounds like both the McNaughton, and the Oneway are versatile enough to go with different shapes. I haven't checked prices yet, but assume they are close to the same. So Hilel, if you decide you have too many of these, and think you want to sell one, let me know Are you in Va. yet?

I have the woodcut system and I really like it. The two blades give you some options regarding size and it is dead-nuts simple to figure out the depth you are going to hit (thus avoiding decroative funnels). You also have some flexibility in terms of shape, but not compared to the McNaughton.

I bought mine second-hand but knowing what I do now, I would buy it again at full retail, no questions asked.

Steve

huuum, thanks Steve. Back to the drawing board.

My vote is for the McNaughton.

Hilel nailed it. I agree completely with everything he said. The Oneway is a good system, but it is so absurdly high priced that it was never a real option to me. The McNaughton takes a little getting used to, but it is the cheapest, most-versatile, and has done everything I have wanted it to.

Thanks, for all the replies folk....decisions, decisions

I like the Craft Supply judgment of the coring systems. The Wood Cut is nice and simple, and if you never plan on removing a core over about 10 inch diameter, it is fine. It will chatter a bit with the blade, especially on harder woods, and at the end of the arc of the cut. The plate it is on needs to hook up to your tailstock.

The Oneway is the most expensive of the group. Can't remember for sure, but $800 or so for all 4 blades. It is the most stable one for removing large cores because of the support finger that goes under the blade, but you have to stop the lathe to advance the support finger, which on a big bowl can be 4 or 5 times. Easy to use though. Sharpening is a bit of a pain. You have to remove the cutter tip from the blade, and hold it up to a grinder. They do have a jig for doing this. If I was to use this tool full time, I would have a disc sander, or belt sander for this one. You sharpen the top surface, not the face/bevel or the tool.

The McNaughton is my preferred coring tool. It can do anything the other ones can, and a lot more. The problem is it isn't an intuitive tool, and there is a learning curve with it. Having some one to walk you through it is best, or the DVD's are a big help also. I find it a lot faster to set up and use than the other systems.

The cutters on all 3 systems are about 3/8 inches wide, with the exception of the micro McNaughton which are 1/4 inch, and are made for the mini lathe. Cutting pressure is about the same on all. I do grind my spear point down square which does reduce the cutting pressure a bit. All cut as scrapers.

robo hippy

Ray
    I have had the Woodcut system for about 5 -6 years.
    I like it a lot but am limited to size.
    Because I have been making bigger and bigger bowls.While at the AAW symposium in Albuequerque(sp) I purchased the largest McNaughton system.
    I now use both.
    The Woodcut does not have much of a learning curve. The Mcnaughton does.
    If you get the Mcnaughton, It would be a good idea to visit someone who has used one quite a bit.

Jerry