Thread: Lontime no see

Lontime no see

Sorry for the long time I have been gone. Most of you have probably forgotten me. I have not you though. I have missed posting and seeing every body's work. Changed jobs, new kid (born with down syndrom so medical issues) home improvement projects including new shop have all kept me too busy to do a whole lot of stuff other than these.

But to keep it turning related.......here is my latest turned piece. It is red oak root ball with hand rubbed poly finish. There is fiberglass resin and coffee grounds in some of the larger cracks to give stability to the piece. I had a heck of a time sandning this beheamoth. FYI keep you knuckles out of the voids.

It is 15" diameter at the middle and 9" tall.

Please critique as I have much to learn after being gone for so long!!! Sorry pics are a little blurry, my photography is almost as bad as my turning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

What a beautiful and unique piece of wood... Great job on what I am sure was a challenging bit or turning(and sanding).

Welcome back and glad to see your post. That is some chunk of wood and looks scary like it wanted to come apart with the least bit of catch. Good job. The fiber glass resin and coffee grounds seem to work well.

You've been gone so long it looks like all your has rotted

Very nice work!!! And the size makes it even more impressive!

Tyler - Welcome back! Sounds like you have had your hands full for awhile! Hope you can find a little comfort time and do some turnings every now and then!

Nice looking bowl! Intense wood! Great color and character! Congrats on being able to hold it all together!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome back. Nice piece, I like the natural voids, scarey looking.

Great looking bowl Tyler. Welcome back.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Sounds like you have endured many challenges, Tyler. I wish you the best with your child - they can be so special in many ways. And, congrats on the new shop!!

Great piece of wood, and another challenge!! You conquered this one, as well. Beautiful color and character.

Welcome back Tyler, I wondered a couple of times what might have happened to you. Glad that you are handling all the things you need to handle, sometimes we have to let our priorities dictate what we get to do. I hope things settle down for you and you are able to turn more often.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.