View Poll Results: What height would make dunking special for college and NBA?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it at 10'

12 29.27%
  • 11.0'

5 12.20%
  • 11.5'

7 17.07%
  • 12.0'

7 17.07%
  • 12.5'

10 24.39%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raise the goal, I知 no longer impressed.

Electrify it.

Didn't the NBA prohibit slam dunks, then renege when the fans complained?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    ..........As for the no dunking of the 60's, prior to that there was no rule, but one very special player caused some rule changes during the 60's with his size and athletic ability. Only Bill Russel could match up against him.........
    Mike, Mike, Mike.......no.......that's backwards........only HE could match up against Bill Russell, and then not often enough.

"Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain went at each other....142 times during the 10 years of their rivalry. Russell's Celtics won 85 while Wilt, who was with the Warriors, 76ers, and Lakers during that period, was on the winning side 57 times."

and this....

"In the 10 years in question, Russell won nine championships to Wilt's one. "

I was in Grad school at MSU in the Magic era. I have always been amazed by what he, Bird, and MJ (to name a few) could do. But in my "golden era" of pro b'ball, it was Russell. Period.

Since those days, I only watch games where they play at both ends of the court. NCAA.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post

"Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain went at each other....142 times during the 10 years of their rivalry. Russell's Celtics won 85 while Wilt, who was with the Warriors, 76ers, and Lakers during that period, was on the winning side 57 times."

and this....

"In the 10 years in question, Russell won nine championships to Wilt's one. "
    As a life long Celtics fan this makes me happy. In Wilt's defense though-he never had the teammates Russell had.

IMHO, basketball is, and pretty much always will be, a guard driven game. Great centers don't win championships without great guard play-whether it is a point guard, shooting guard, or the new thing a "point forward" (LeBron, Pippen, etc). I don't think the height of the rim makes much of a difference really. It is not the ability to dunk that makes a player great-it is how the use their feet and maneuver in traffic, etc. Dunks are really only for show and put backs. Most breakways end in a layup as they can get more elevation and separation from the chasers. A dunk requires them to stay on the ground longer. I think measuring a players horizontal leap might be more telling as to their finishing ability.

I don't watch much basketball these days but I do enjoy the game the way it is played right now. The NBA has improved a lot in the last few years. The years immediately following Jordan's retirement stunk. They have made rules changes to make it "flow" more and it has improved. It is worth watching again.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    If the height was raised would the height have to be raised for the women also or would it be like the ladies tee in golf, or does it really matter?
    I didn't even know the WNBA still existed Thought it was gone like the XFL.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I say leave it where it is, but institute a cumulative maximum height for the five players on the court at any one time, for example 32 feet. Then if you had a 7' guy you'd have to play him with a 5'6" guy to stay under the limit. It would make substitutions much more interesting.

Al McGuire suggested the rule change a long time ago.

Roger

Only college graduates should get to dunk. No diploma, no dunky.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.