Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #16 Walnut and Curly Maple - seems to be a recurrent theme!!

John,

Another quality piece!

I do think it would look better without the walnut dot inside the bowl. Otherwise, it looks really good. I like the different shape in the maple part and the rim. It adds a little flair to it!

JMO,
    Doug

I like the 'dot' on the bottom

A bowl just like this was on my list of things to try once I get set up

I guess that you have figured out from the above posts, that if a bowl turner sees this piece, the walnut showing through the bottom says "I saved this funnel!" It is unique though and probably more interesting than a 7" maple bowl.

Very lovely John. The curves from rim to the foot are excellent. The ogee form is very good.

I'll join some others on the foot. It's too heavy looking. Doesn't go with the rest of the bowl. A nice reverse curve coming from the body of the bowl would look a lot better. And perhaps not quite so tall.

I think that if you show the bowl to a non turner that most would like the walnut on the inside bottom of the bowl. What turner hasn't gone through the bottom of a lovely piece of wood and "saved" it by adding a contrasting color bottom? So that's how a turner thinks. That still doesn't make it a bad thing IMO.

The bead on the outside of the bowl? I think that you have a very nice form here and it doesn't need further embellishment.

This is perhaps nit picking, but I think that there is a bit too much walnut at the rim. It detracts from the really good curly maple.

John, I hope that I haven't picked this very well done bowl apart too much. I've taught turning to hundreds of students over the years, and have given tough critiques to all of them. Most of them appreciate it because it's the only way to learn. Of course not everybody agrees with my opinions....

Wally

Thanks for looking, and for the comments. I agree on the "donut hole" in the bottom. Somewhere I saw a similar treatment on a bowl, and thought it would be neat. But, as soon as I opened up the walnut, I was pretty sure I had made a mistake. Just another lesson learned along the shavings strewn path!!

Brian, I really do appreciate the wood, and I do hope this is a fitting tribute for it. The BLO and shellac really did a great job of warming up the walnut and curly maple.

Wally, thanks for the honest critique. On the walnut rim, in order to have the form I did, I needed that much walnut. The transition had to occur at the change in curve, and the bead is there to mask the glue line and help with the transition of color. I used all of the thickness of the curly maple, so there wasn't much else I could do and have the overall form.

The basic form of this bowl were from one of the many drawings in Raffan's book. The rim style, the foot, the bead, and the basic proportions among those elements. His, of course, didn't have a "donut" in the bottom! And, it wasn't of two woods. I can see where less foot would probably be better, but I needed the thickness for my experiment with the walnut showing in the bottom, since I have the medallion inset. I also think an outswept foot might look good, as well. Raffan showed a beaded foot, but I thought that would certainly be too heavy with everything else that is going on with this bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    Also been meaning to ask, probably in one of your early posts, did you have your wooden nickels made or do you do those yourself?
    George Perzel, a creeker that hangs out in the Laser forum did them for me. They are 1.5" maple and recessed for a penny - just can't find any 2010 pennies yet!

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Did you crank out flat work at this pace? If so, your home must be filled with tables, chests, and chairs.
    Not hardly!! I kind of like the 1-2 day start to finish on these bowls. Just hope I can convince myself to do flatwork again!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    John I really like the combination the fit and finish and shape, very nicely done, But, I don't like the plug in the bottom, intentionally or not, it has that look, sorry.
    I don't like putting it this way, it's just the way I feel about it
    Leo, I asked for and want honest input. I agree on the bottom, and I certainly appreciate your thoughts, and your knowledge. You have done more bowls than I have time left on this earth to think about!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ackerman NY View Post
    Are you cranking these bad boys out daily? I just started paying attention to your bombardment of picture threads everyday, so excuse my ignorance.
    Sean, this is pretty much your fault - you sold me the Delta midi!!

I love the look of curly. Nice bowl.

Another beauty John! My favorite feature is the bead underneath the rim where the walnut meets the maple. That looks really sharp. Are the two woods fit together with a short tenon like joint? It's been my experience that if you can join them that way it greatly decreases the odds of the joint separating at some point because of wood movement. Very nice looking bowl though, the only negative would be that I agree with Leo's comment on the walnut showing through on the base. I've done the same myself to make a deeper bowl from a thin piece of extra nice wood. But to other turners that can have the "oops I turned through the bottom" appearance.

Thanks Curt! The walnut is surface glued to the maple with Titebond. My experience on flatwork with Titebond is that the wood will split before the joint will fail on a long grain glueup. Hope that holds true on round stuff!!

John, I like the overall shape of this one and of course the combination of walnut and maple, well forget about it!!!!!!!

I personally don't care for the walnut at the bottom inside. I've done this myself and I didn't care for it after I did it either.

So, what's #17's progress???????????

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Tony, I think the next piece will be Claro and curly maple again - another lidded piece. My daughter ended up with the one I did, and my wife wants one. This next one will be a different form with some similar features.

I have purchased a BUNCH of Claro walnut from Mike Smith, and I really like turning it. Plus, the Claro I get from him is nearly all figured and dry.

Another winner John!
    Keep them coming....

Talking

Mr. John I do like the piece. It wont be long and people on here are going to be identifying pieces as "KEETON'S". You certainly have a style going that is all your own. So where do I sign up for these turning classes you are offering?

John, I understand wanting to use the maple in a larger piece, and my art training says that minor color elements need to be repeated so the foot makes sense, but I would have tried to make it lighter, possibly incorporating some carving to separate the ring into three separate feet. I would not cut through the bowl like that (unless it were a 'save') unless I did something special in the center like a segmented star or something, although I have intentionally exposed a tenon on the bottom of an applied foot.

All in all a nice piece, and as you've said a learning experience. Looking forward to more.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Another good looking bowl John. I like the combo of the woods and the overall shape.

I love the combination of wood, very artistic.