Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #16 Walnut and Curly Maple - seems to be a recurrent theme!!

Talking #16 Walnut and Curly Maple - seems to be a recurrent theme!!

On Christmas Eve last year, during the "bomb" raid by a few unsavory fellow creekers (during which I was pounded by a relentless barrage of boxes of wood), Brian Effinger sent me this beautiful chunk of curly maple.
    I knew at the time that my skill level just wasn't anywhere near doing justice to this piece of wood, so it has been sitting on my shelf just waiting for the right time, and the right project.

The blank was 7" x 2", and while on its own it would have made a nice little bowl, it just seemed that it deserved more. The only way to do that was to come up with a larger design that would incorporate this blank.

So this is what came of it.
    16-1.jpg16-2.jpg16-3.jpg16-4.jpg16-5.jpg

Again, some may not care for this design. I intentionally took the bowl through into the walnut foot, and while I think it adds interest, I am not really sure about the look. But, it is a little late for that thought!!

Getting this one sanded out was really tricky! And, it could be better, but I was afraid to do much more. As Curt Fuller said, trying to get a decent transition line with a glue up is tough. I actually turned this in three stages so that I could assure that the various layers would spin true to the end. While it may not appear so, the grain direction on all the pieces are pretty close. They were not all sawed the same (quarter/rift/etc.), so getting them exactly the same was not possible. You just take your best shot!

9 3/8" x 3 5/8" and 5 3/4" across the bowl opening.

Hope you like it, but as always, this is just a fun journey and I want honest input. Can't get better without your help!! Thanks for taking the time to look - again, and again, and.....

Looks cool from here. Follow your bliss.

Another beautiful piece John. Kinda has an "old world" feel to it...Bill..

Wow, John, your finishing schedule really brought the wood to life. The bowl is just beautiful. I also like the walnut at the bottom a little more now because it seems to blend in a little better. The finish gave both woods a complimentary golden hue.

Well done. You certainly did that wood justice.

Brian
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

John, I really like this one. the woods and finish are beautiful.........and your favorite two woods
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Great looking bowl John! Nice combination of woods! Very interesting rim treatment! Do not believe I have seen that variation before! Pretty cool!

Looks like you have the finishing process down really good also! Very nice work! Seriously - very nice! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Great looking bowl John. I do like the wood combo.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Boy, are we having fun or what? Looks great.

Well the hits just keep on coming. I really like the mixed wood and the shape of the piece. Not crazy about the shape of the foot or the dot of walnut on the bottom. I think that the foot could have been a little more petite. As for the dot, it makes me think funnel. Just my two cents, but really another nice piece John.

Also been meaning to ask, probably in one of your early posts, did you have your wooden nickels made or do you do those yourself?

Beautiful wood on both counts. I'm not sure I like the walnut at the bottom... maybe a walnut foot but not visible from the inside of the bowl? Just an off the cuff impression.

I absolutely love the rim treatment. The finish is great and lends a nice warmth to the piece overall.

I love the variety of the turning that you've done so far. Looking forward to #17. Just a question; Did you crank out flat work at this pace? If so, your home must be filled with tables, chests, and chairs.

John I really like the combination the fit and finish and shape, very nicely done, But, I don't like the plug in the bottom, intentionally or not, it has that look, sorry.
    I don't like putting it this way, it's just the way I feel about it
    Have fun and take care

12. John,

SAWEEEEEEEET! Nice finish and form. Pretty spiffy and very admirable.

I like the coziness of the outer rim and the warmth of the inside of the bowl. Like the others, not terribly keen on the dot o' walnut.

Are you cranking these bad boys out daily? I just started paying attention to your bombardment of picture threads everyday, so excuse my ignorance.

You kind of can't go wrong with a figured maple & walnut combination. This certainly is a unique and interesting design. Probably the only thing I'm not sure I like is the walnut foot through the bottom of the bowl. Overall, I think this is a continuation of your fine turning skills.

Thumbs up

Beautiful bowl John, I can see it now.,one of these days you will be famous and look back on these bowls and see how it all started. You may not think that now but your work is REALLY good.Share your secret,how do make those bowls so RIGHT? I am serious those are great.I look foward to looking on here to see your next project.Keep 'em commin!!!!!!! It's a great inspiration to us all.
    Donny