Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Care of Hammer A3-31 jointer and planer beds

I am cleaning up a planer bed that was left in the rain right now. 400 grit seems good enough on a ros. I just did a little 1,ooo grit this morning and it looks better still.
    Bill D

My Jet JJP-12 has 'corduroy' jointer beds as well. I cleaned mine off with mineral spirits and paper towels and yes, they were a little 'grabby'. A minute with a maroon abrasive pad fixed that - it didn't take much - then wax.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 07-11-2022 at 8:26 AM.

Johnson paste wax works Very well on the beds. I have a second generation one and the beds are fairly smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Patterson View Post
    Johnson paste wax works Very well on the beds. I have a second generation one and the beds are fairly smooth.
    I have been wary of using any kind of wax on my A-41 for fear of it affecting the finish. Any reality to my fear?

I used straight carnuba, never had any finish issues from it. No silicone in it. I will test ceramic on the machine tables and see it holds up. Had johnsons way in the past before carnuba and it worked fine.

Woodwhisperer's latest video had a sponsor called Carbon Method. His short term test was very positive. It seems to be a product that applies not dissimilar to how ceramic coatings go on.

https://carbonmethod.com/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    I have been wary of using any kind of wax on my A-41 for fear of it affecting the finish. Any reality to my fear?
    You can use wax for floors (which doesn’t have silicone) or the Felder Silber Gleit, which is what I have switched to.

Neither affect finishing……..Regards, Rod.

Never had any issue with wax. I let it dry a bit and buff it. I usually sand before finishing and there is no clogging of the sandpaper.

Slip it Gel works nicely and lasts a long time. Very easy to apply

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Patterson View Post
    It has now been discontinued according to reports in this forum
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Here is a thread from umgf.com containing a quote from the manufacturer:

While I might disagree with their business decision, their business model is solid as to customer response. I put the question to SC Johnson and in a few hours got it straight from the manufacturer.

"Hi David,

I’m sorry to share SC Johnson Paste Wax® is no longer being made. While I understand it was a product you used, unfortunately, we had to make the tough decision to stop making it. That said, your continued interest has been shared with the team.

We’re always working on new and exciting products and sometimes, in order to make room for them at the store, we have to decide which ones to take off the shelf. It’s a decision we don’t take lightly, and consumer and retailer interest helps us choose which stay.

In thanks for your taking the time to reach out, I'm mailing a booklet of savings on a variety of our SC Johnson brands. Please expect it to arrive in about two weeks."

I suspect the fact that it took some time & elbow grease to use properly has led to an entire generation or two having never used or even seen it... thus the demise.
    I imagine the fact that 'furniture' from IKEA or Walmart has little need for paste wax has something to do with it as well. I imagine carnuba wax like bowling alley wax will continue to be available but will be a niche product at a higher price.

it had chemicals in it they can't use now, same as other products from other manufacturers.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-17-2022 at 1:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    You can buy Minwax paste wax at paint areas of BORGs or Canadian tire.

Rona near me sell it in regular or dark colour……Regards, Rod

The hammer bed is dead flat but is not mirror polished. It is cut like an extremely fine file. The paste wax stuff doesnt work. Ive been using the Felder spray as glidecoat, paste wax, and a couple others have not lasted on these beds. The machine is worth what it costs. The beds are just different, when you rub your hand across them you can feel texture.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Woodwhisperer's latest video had a sponsor called Carbon Method. His short term test was very positive. It seems to be a product that applies not dissimilar to how ceramic coatings go on.

https://carbonmethod.com/
    I saw that. Interesting. But his test was to just look at rust prevention. As I recall, it didn't look at reducing friction. It might be great at that, but it's going to be a few months until he does a longer term test.

Myself, I usually just use CRC-36. Needs frequent applications. Super Gleit (Super Glide) works well too. Pricey.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.