Thread: Something bad happened - need help!

Something bad happened - need help!

Hi All,

I was stupid, I admit! I should have known better - but now I need to fix it.

Last week I had an electricity meter installed in my workshop, something wasn't done right, or possibly something was already wrong and this made it happen, anyway my Lathe's (JET 1642 EVS-2) Inverter got fried...

JET want's $470 (before s&h to Israel) for a replacement, which sounds a bit steep for me...

I have an offer on an LG SV015iG5A-2 VFD which is rated much the same, for a much better price (supposedly as good or even better than the Delta vfd), however I have no idea how to connect it to the existing motor and controls, and also how to program it correctly for the Lathe

Also it has some features (like braking) that can possibly be used to make the lathe even better (faster braking) etc.

I would appreciate any help that could be had with any of the above problems (installing/connecting, programming parameters, improvements/mods)

Please help me get my lathe working!
    Thank you

Is it new?

Moshe, Is the one you are looking at a new in the box vfd? If so it should come with the instructions and wiring diagram for the VFD. It will give you all the info on how to program the unit and adjust the braking and ramp up speeds. Most VFD's are very similar in how they are hooked up, when I bought the TECO 50 for my old lathe I had never hooked one up ever and got it done pretty easily by just following the directions. Good luck with the change out.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks - can you give some info?

On the parameters you used?
    I know there are instructions, but I'm at loss as what I need to input...

I have not used that brand of VFD, the Hitachi ones that I have used require a braking resistor to utilize the braking capabiliy.

On the programming, start out as simply as possible. Check the instructions for "basic setup" or similar wording. There a few settings that must be matched to your motor and control wiring. Leave most of the settings at the default value. Once you get it wired up and running, you can fine tune things.

Jet and PM don't want you to mess with the perimeters on their converters, and I believe you are locked out on them. A liability thing I guess. I don't know if you can get around that without getting a different brand. Not some thing to do without an electrical engineer around to walk you through it. I asked them about changing some things (minimum speeds) and they said that it would void the warranty, and I would have to send it in. I have a Robust, and Brent English walked me through a number of changes. I don't know if his converter would work on your lathe or not.

robo hippy