Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Best Block Plane

Ron Brese tried to tempt me with that in December. I'm not planning on dying any time soon, so why not both? Make a J-style small smoother and buy a LN !
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

2 Lie Nielsens and 1 class act

I visited the Craftsman Studio store front in San Diego yesterday. I asked Bill Kohr to show me the LN 60-1/2, based on all of the recommendations here. It fit my hand perfectly. It looked beautiful and substantial. I let him know I planned to order one in the near future.

I bought the LN 102 from Craftsman Studio a few years ago - my first top quality plane. I like the plane as a pocket plane but have wanted something larger with adjustable mouth.

The 102's mouth is almost completely closed. I looked at his 102 on display and, unlike mine, there was light - maybe a 1/64" mouth opening, although I did not measure. I asked Bill about sharpening angles and he told me also to check on the flatness of the iron. He had one customer with a slightly curved iron on his LN 102 that made the mouth close before exposing the tip of the blade.

I came home and put the 102 blade up against a Starrett blade and could easily see light. It was off by about .004", concave on the back side and convex on the front. When I wrote to Bill to see if this would cause the problem he said he would send me a new iron on Monday with a return postage paid envelope for the one I have now.

Bill Kohr + Craftsman Studio + Lie Nielsen = 1 class act!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    When I wrote to Bill to see if this would cause the problem he said he would send me a new iron on Monday with a return postage paid envelope for the one I have now.

Bill Kohr + Craftsman Studio + Lie Nielsen = 1 class act!
    That sounds great, I have actually been looking at the craftsman studio to place my March 'reward for me' order , I wanted to get their fret saw and the LN Carcass saw but haven't heard much about them so I wasn't sure about ordering with them yet. Sounds like a good reason to add them to my list of WW tool vendors.
    That which does not kill you will likely raise your insurance premiums.

Chuck, do you do woodworking in Iraq or wait til home?

Brian,

I'm waiting until I get home, 3 months left and since Christmas I have been placing a monthly order so that I will have a big pile o stuff waiting for me ....it helps the days go by a little quicker looking for what I will get next.

Great idea Chuck.

Yes I would give Craftsman Studio as high a recommendation as Lee Valley and Tools For Working Wood. Top notch.

Thanks for what you are doing right now.

Brian

Thanks Brian....sounds great, I'm a huge fan of LV and love almost everything Veritas, haven't placed an order with TFWW yet when I get back his holdfasts are at the top of my list as is a bow saw hardware kit. The great thing about ordering stuff now is that SWMBO misses me so much that she overlooks the 2 or 3 packages that arrive monthly with my name on them

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Tringo View Post
    Thanks Brian....sounds great, I'm a huge fan of LV and love almost everything Veritas, haven't placed an order with TFWW yet when I get back his holdfasts are at the top of my list as is a bow saw hardware kit. The great thing about ordering stuff now is that SWMBO misses me so much that she overlooks the 2 or 3 packages that arrive monthly with my name on them
    Fantastic - I'm taking notes on your psychology.

What's wrong with me? I have both the LN 60-1/2 and the LN 60-1/2R - flip a coin - just happen to have this thing for the "R". Nobody else listed it tho.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Kent,

Because of your post a few days ago, I looked at the 60-1/2R yesterday at Craftsman Studio. I don't actually see the downside. I have been focusing on the 60-1/2, but it seems your favorite has that one advantage of getting into the corner. It sure looks plenty stiff and solid.

Is there any downside to a 60-1/2R as a block plane?

Brian

Does the 'R' plane have an adjustable mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Does the 'R' plane have an adjustable mouth?
    No.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Kent,

Because of your post a few days ago, I looked at the 60-1/2R yesterday at Craftsman Studio. I don't actually see the downside. I have been focusing on the 60-1/2, but it seems your favorite has that one advantage of getting into the corner. It sure looks plenty stiff and solid.

Is there any downside to a 60-1/2R as a block plane?

Brian
    I have one and tried to use it as a block plane. Since the blade sticks out on the sides, you can do some damage to wood, or to your other hand if you're not careful (don't ask). I would put it in the category of, "Yes, you can use it as a block plane, but you'll be better off with a regular block plane."

It's a special purpose tool.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lie Nielsen 60 1/2r

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I have one and tried to use it as a block plane. Since the blade sticks out on the sides, you can do some damage to wood, or to your other hand if you're not careful (don't ask). I would put it in the category of, "Yes, you can use it as a block plane, but you'll be better off with a regular block plane."

It's a special purpose tool.

Mike
    Yeah, well, that's true, kinda-sorta.....I wouldn't say it's a special-purpose tool - I'd flip that around and say there are special purposes where it isn't the optimal tool. I guess I look it as the "utility infielder". (Maybe I'll give it a name - Tom Brookens. If you didn't spend a lot of nights in Tiger Stadium in 1984, that might not connect with you).

I have the blade aligned so it doesn't project to the left (I'm right handed). I can use it for a fast trim of tenon face right against the shoulder, or any quick rabbet-type clean-up, or any-old quick trimming work like an apron plane almost - with the benefit that it is a rabbet when needed. It is LA by design. Most of this type of work doesn't succeed or fail on the adj mouth. When it comes down to a situation where I need the adj mouth feature, I have the 60-1/2. And sometimes, it just depends on where my hand alights on the plane till, to be honest. I'm not saying it necessarily replaces the 60-1/2, but if I was forced to sell one of the two, I'd prolly keep the R.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.