Thread: ROS vs. Belt Sander

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ROS vs. Belt Sander

Does anyone out there have a comparison or opinion between a random orbit sander and a belt sander for end grain stock removal? I have a butcher block that needs flattening and I'd rather get an aggressive or dual action ROS than a belt sander, as I'd have more use for the ROS in the future. My thinking is that if I can get 70-80% of the performance of a belt sander out of an aggressive ROS, then that's the way for me to go.

Thanks

I Think You're Right

If you can only have one and don't need a belt sander for other tasks, I'd go ROS
    18th century nut --- Carl

ROS! You'd be surprised how much stock a more aggressive ROS, combined with some "assertive" sandpaper, can take off! Back off the paper grits and you have a pretty nice finish sander. Just MHO....
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Mickey -

Have you considered a cabinet scraper? Between sanders - it would be easier to get a flat surface witha belt sander. However, a ROS would get more overall use. Maybe ROS and scraper?

Regards,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Mickey -

Have you considered a cabinet scraper? Maybe ROS and scraper?

Regards,
    Ted
    Yeah, but Ted...But, but, but....'ya can't plug the scraper in!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    With those options the ROS has more control (IMHO) and doesn't "dive-in or catch an edge like a BS.

Learning the Neander ways, for that task I'd lean toward a Scrub, jointer, jack and scraper.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

John -

Sorry. I humbly apologize for potential mis-direction. Sort of like when I go to the toolbox and open the screwdriver drawer and get out a "cordless" screwdriver.

Also write me up for not advocating acquisition of additional tools.

Ted

ROS vs. Belt Sander

Normally, I'd take the Neander route, but this it a true butcher block I'm dealing with - it's all end-grain that needs flattening. I don't have a large, low-angle plane such as a Stanley 62; I do have a low-angle block plane (Stanley 65), but the prospect of using it to flatten a 18"x22" butcher block is unsavory at best. I'll probably use the straight-edge/router method, but would like to rationalyze the purchase of a new tool . Of course, maybe the new tool needs to be a Lee Valley Low-Angle Smoother.

Thanks,

Mickey

How much material to you have to remove? A sixteenth or so would be as much as I'd do with a sander. For more than that, I'd do the bulk of the work with a router and a flattening jig.

You might also consider locating a drum sander if it's the top side your sanding, you would get a much truer sanding. For the, have you thought about a router bit and then final sanding with a ROS?
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

11. I'm with Jamie, I vote for the flattening jig and a router. All you have to do is get two straight boards and mount them so they are in the same plane edgewise. Then construct a wide stiff router mounting plate that you can slide on the rails described above. Then mount a straight planer bit in your plunge router and creep up on it until you have achieved the flatness you desire. Little sanding and you're done.
    Last edited by Michael Stafford; 10-29-2004 at 2:06 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.