Thread: How long is your Lathe bed

How long is your Lathe bed

If you have the Delta 46-460 with the bed extension, please let me know it's over length so I can determine the space needed in my now cramped shop. Thanks
    Eye grabbing subject line ha?

I apparently had the subject line edited by a moderator, I appoligize if I offended, I will use greater discretion in the future.
    Last edited by Nick Mastropietro; 02-21-2010 at 12:21 PM.

ROFLOL yea Nick you owe me a keyboard. I just spewed coffee all over mine.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    ROFLOL yea Nick you owe me a keyboard. I just spewed coffee all over mine.
    +1 me too...

I've read online tha the lathe is around 36" long and the bed extension another 25." So you'd likely want a space at least 6 feet wide to allow some space at each end to allow for things like sliding off the tail stock or using the rod to knock out the drive centers at the head stock end.

awwwww, now i want to know what it said.

Nick,
    I can't speak to the Delta, but can tell you that the longer bed is wonderful. I considered getting a Vicmarc VL300 short bed (about 20"), but decided instead to get the long bed version (about 51"). I wasn't interested in long spildle turning, but love the ability to just slide the tailstock out of the way instead of having to remove it. No more little holes in my righht elbow when I forget to remove the pointed live center...

not nearly as long as i'd like it to be.

I just found out my Delta 46-460 will be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I already have the extension. If you don't have an answer by then, I can measure it with the bed extension attached and post them then.