Thread: Cherry Plate

Looks pretty good to me John! What's the diameter and what did you use for a finish? I do like the classic form on this! Nice work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Cherry Plate

Here's a little cherry plate I turned this week. It started as a 1" thick rough sawn board. Nothing special but I was happy with it. Starting with only 1" of wood makes things interesting.

The finish could be better, I noticed a few flaws when I put it under the lights to photograph.

Criticism or comments welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Trax

John, that is a beautifully clear piece of wood, and it will age out to a really nice piece! I like the gentle curve in the front. Nice work!

Ole Steve is pretty quick. Can reply before you post now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Stewart View Post
    Ole Steve is pretty quick. Can reply before you post now.
    Actually, it isn't his reflexes, it is the telepathic process of his mind - very highly developed mode of communication. Henceforth, I will be very cautious of my thoughts while surfing the creek!!

Looks nice John... Nice shape/form and the finish looks nice.

Agree with the others that you should be careful with you thoughts as Steve seems to be in your head as evidenced by his posting a response before your original post. I've used a tinfoil hat in the past with some success.

very nice, John

am takeing David suggestions, making a tinfold hat, i wonder if colored tinfold would work better???????

Steve,

The diameter is just shy of 8", thickness ended at 3/4". No glue block, I mounted on a face plate with short screws, turned a mounting recess and then reversed. Not much opportunity to make creative decisions with such a thin starting block. I ended up with two visible pitch pockets but did not think I had enough depth left to turn them away.

Finish is three coats of Deft, then buffed. Lots of things to improve on but not too bad for the first plate. It does sit a little higher than I would like so I think I'll try to make the base a little thinner next time.
    John Trax

Steve is always one step ahead of everyone.

Nice platter John.

Really a nice platter. How'd you do that Schlumpf????? Answer before he posted!!!!! He posted at 9:56 pm and you answered him 14 minutes before he posted???????
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl View Post
    How'd you do that Schlumpf????? Answer before he posted!!!!! He posted at 9:56 pm and you answered him 14 minutes before he posted???????
    You have entered the Twilight Zone......

Hey - it's all part of that time-space continuum thing that you get when you become a moderator!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Nice work John. I really like this quite a bit and as John K. pointed out it should age just beautifully.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"