Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winged Victory

Thumbs up

Steve
    I like it. The wings ad a special touch to the overall fourm.
    2 thumbs up.

That is the whole reason for "ART"

Steve, To be called "ART" by many it needs to have that little extra effort put into it. It lets the judges know that you are more than just a woodturner but an inovator. Art is percieved differently by most everyone who looks at it, and I think the split wings will give it that extra bit to make the people talk about it and it will separate it from others that may be in the same style. Good luck and win the gold!

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Steve, I love the finial but I'm not 100% sure if it goes with the vase. There's something in the colors or grain pattern of the two woods that doesn't jive, at least in my eye. That finial is really cool though. Looks like a snake's tongue.

Looks masterful from here!

Out of curiousity, do folks use hollow forms like this or similar (Ellsworth, Bosch, etc.) for anything other than vessel shaped sculpture? Don't get me wrong, sculpture and beauty is plenty for an object to accomplish, I'm just curious whether they ever have utility functions at all that aren't occuring to me. Finial pieces with small openings tend to make me think of exquisite perfume bottles and such, though I know they are unlikely to be used that way.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I realize it is different and may or may not be accepted - but if anything is accepted, I will let you know.

Curt - I replaced a Cherry finial with Cherry cause with just a few months of aging - the color really starts to match the Box Elder. Right now it has that real fresh Cherry look to it and that may hurt it's chances. We'll see.

Sean - I don't know about other folks who turn hollow forms but I hope all of mine are considered as wood sculptures. Course, they would make great M&M holders!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

very nice, i think it is fine for an art show or otherwize

your hf must be 6 x 6 or so without final, i find myself going to about the same size lately, seems that size is good for continous curve, what do you think, Steve

Charlie - the actual hollow form is 5" high x 6" wide and most of my blanks are close to the same size or slightly larger. I do have some that I have roughed that are closer to 14" diameter but they are the exception.

As far as a continuous curve - depends more on the shape you are creating than the size of the blank - at least for me. It is nice to have a blank large enough to play with the form while turning and not be restricted as to what you can create. Course, once it has been roughed out and set aside to dry - you do limit yourself as far as final design modifications.
    Steve

Beautiful and daring finial Steve. While I really like it I too am not sure it goes with the HF. I am not quite sure why. I've looked at both the before & after photos this morning, and again this afternoon, but still can't put my finger on it. It might be the color and grain, as Curt suggested, but it might also be the height. On the original, the finial was about 1/3 of the overall height. The new one is close to, but not exactly 1/2 the overall height. Of course, this is just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Out of curiousity, do folks use hollow forms like this or similar (Ellsworth, Bosch, etc.) for anything other than vessel shaped sculpture?
    i did this turning for a person who does garden shows, ie: she is going to put an arrangement of cut flowers, the opening at the top and how wide the bottom were critical dimensions; something called a frog fits in the bottom

the wood came from a persimion tree from their front yard, because of the nearly straight up and down form, the wood movement was like a bowl instead of a hollow form; the first one warped, so this is the second one, roughed out and then turned to finial thickness. the first one was light brown, the second one in a paper bag for a couple months looked like black walnut with a maple grain; go figure; oh and yes dry persimion is tough
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 02-21-2010 at 4:48 PM.

Steve, if you want to get a quick-start to the aging of the cherry, put some BLO on it and put it on your window sill so it gets serious sunlight. Turn it 180 degrees the next day and continue until you have to send it or pictures of it in for the jury. Another way to do it would be to continue with the BLO and take it to a tanning studio and put it one of the beds for a round.

looks really cool. dye the wings a dark color so that your eyes are drawn to the wing, but keep the rest of the finial a light color
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Thanks Steve but the finial already has a coat of poly on it. No big deal on the aging - the photos are being submitted tomorrow and whatever happens - happens. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Steve

Somehow the finial looks a little stiff, like the foot is not a soft curve like the top of the HF, and a darker color would look better, and yes this is strictly IMO
    There's this saying Steve, if you try to please everyone you will please no-one, so please yourself, it is and extension of you, keep it if you like it
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Steve, I love the finial but I'm not 100% sure if it goes with the vase. There's something in the colors or grain pattern of the two woods that doesn't jive, at least in my eye. That finial is really cool though. Looks like a snake's tongue.
    I've come back to look at this several times. But this time I followed the link to the original post and saw that I originally commented on how much I liked the color combination. Just goes to show how dingy I can be.
    Again, I love the shape of the finial, check tomorrow and I might like the color of the finial again. Good luck on the show. I have this feeling you'll be a winner...again.

Steve,

That is way too weird for an art show, I think you should box it up and send it to me!!!

Seriously, I find it very provocative, and I would think that would be a good thing for an art show. Good luck, I will be interested in seeing what happens.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.