Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winged Victory

Winged Victory

Have a juried show that I have to submit entries to no later than this coming Friday. Turned this Box Elder hollow form back in July (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115860) and while I was happy with the form at the time - I never really liked the finial. This is one of those rare times where I went back and turned another finial to give a piece a different look.

The Box Elder HF is 10" high to top of the Cherry finial x 6" diameter x 1/8" thick.

Winged Victory.jpg

So, what do you think? To weird for an art show entry?

As always, your comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve...

Certainly not too weird for any art show I've been to. In fact, I was thinking that you added a nicely done whimsical touch to what was already a very stately HF. While the former finial was well done, this one seems to add to the overall character of the piece. I like it.

...Bob

Steve, I like the shape and everything but I think it would better with the finial a little darker in color.

does it have a finish on it ?

can you put some dye or stain on it ?

just my 2 cents
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I like it as is... the finial is really nice. This seems perfect for an art show.

Really a pretty piece Steve. I really like the finial.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Steve,

The HF is great. Beautiful wood and a pleasing form.

I generally like pedestals and finials in a contrasting wood but you just never know what judges will like.

The art fair that I have entered this year and last still makes me scratch my head. Both years the piece (you can submit three) that I thought they would like they rejected.

I guess art like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Toney

PS Another name for your HF but not as inspiring would be "Forked Tongue"

Steve, I like the finial, and I really like it on this piece. The "wings" pick up the angle of the finial base, and I think the change of direction of the grain for the "ball" is neat!! Though the cherry will darken, so will the box elder, and I think the finial draws on the color bands in the HF.

Very nice, crisp details, and a marked improvement. Go for it!! Wierd is in!

Seems like the perfect level of weirdness to me, but then I'm not one of the judges. Good luck Steve.
    Richard in Wimberley

I don't know what is weird about it. Guess I don't know enough about finials. And if it is wierd, isn't that sometimes good for an art show?
    I think the tip of the finial matches the shape of the hollowform. I like the color as well. It is similar but contrasting if that makes any sense. Something different than black looks good! More natural.

The new finial changes the feel of the entire piece for me. I believe it to be a fine improvement. The "wing" is a very fitting and clever addition.. Good luck on the coming show also...Bill...

I've never even seen a winged finial, its pretty frickin cool, not sure how you did it either. Nice job, it's definitely not too weird.

Done it again

Perfect! It's in the show!!
    Peter

Nice upgrade, Steve!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I like it alot Steve. I would put it in the show as is and see what happens.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Is there anything too weird for an art show? I thing that's a great finial, blends in very well with the HF. Best of luck Steve.