Thread: Raster Engraving

Raster Engraving

I’m trying to make some drink coasters out of Baltic Birch and when I raster the photo image that I created in Photograv and then laser it into the wood it doesn’t seem to be very dark. Is Baltic not the way to go? Is there some other wood to use that is a 1/8” thick?
    I have to say it did a fine job rastering the image.

Thanks,
    Steven
    Laser Pro 25watt, Corel Draw 12, Flexi Pro 8.6

Can you post an image of the coaster so we can see?

Steven,

I've played with a lot of baltic birch and playing with the power settings allow me to darken things. Since it's running through Photgrav first, maybe you should darken it there and then laser.

I made a buch of Presidential Seal coasters and more power gave me a darker - higher contrast output.
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Laser, then move table down 5 or so clicks & laser again. The first will give you detail and depth. The second pass will be slightly out of focus that will darken the engraving.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I usually select 600 dpi, back off 1/8", and use the over burn to darken the job.. If it does not darken to a level you like, some brown Rit fabric dye in a spray bottle does wonders.. Just make sure you seal the wood first (before engraving), with a coat of lacquer etc..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it