Thread: What is value of Stanley Bailey #5 Jack Plane

What is value of Stanley Bailey #5 Jack Plane

I found a Stanley #5 Baily Jack 2" cutter 14" plane on Craigslist. The seller hasn't set a price but is asking for offers. Assuming the plane is in good condition, what is the range of pricing for this plane?

Thanks,

Scott C

Blog Entries
    I would entertain $30-$40 if it is clean, no broken parts, and is made prior to 1950.

The not so helpful answer is it depends. Value is HIGHLY dependent on age & condtion. I'd recomen you look at the "type study" done on the #4 plane to get an idea of what era this palne is...

Blog Entries
    Hello Scott and welcome to the Creek.

The value of the plane not only depends on age, condition and physical aspects, it depends on the buyer.

What I would pay is quite different than what others may pay. Currently, I have 2 #5s and would only be interested in buying another to fix up and sell or if it was damaged it might be considered for parts. If it is missing any part(s), the price goes down drastically. If it is later than the 1920s, I am not interested. That does not mean these are bad planes, it just means they are not ones that I want.

What I find crazy in this world is one can often buy a plane in decent condition with all the parts in the $20 range. If you are trying to buy just the rosewood tote and knob, it will likely cost at least $20. If I know the rosewood is good and the price is in the $20 range, I have usually bought most that have been offered to me.

Of course, if it is clean and doesn't need any work, not many will be found at that price.

If the ad for the plane has pictures, maybe you can copy and post them here. Or send me a PM with the link and I will take a look.

I looked at the Asheville craigslist but did not find anything. That may be the wrong craigslist.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Go to eBay and search for completed auction of Stanley 5's with the added term "(SW,sweetheart,sweethart)" The SW planes are from a solidly good vintage era - roughly 1930's - and are representative of a fair price for vintage planes. Planes from a decade later and a few decades earlier are just as good, but just harder to define search terms to sort for. I think you will find that a very nice vintage Stanley 5 can be had for $20 to $40.

By the way, stay away from any Stanley 5's from after WW2. Stanley's quality suffered hugely making the planes hard to fettle and frustrating to use to do anything but rough carpentry in soft pine.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    By the way, stay away from any Stanley 5's from after WW2. Stanley's quality suffered hugely making the planes hard to fettle and frustrating to use to do anything but rough carpentry in soft pine.
    I respectfully disagree. Type 18s are fine planes and I've never seen a lemon, and those Type 19s made up through say '55 are ok too, and usually have little use to them, and can be tuned up to sing with little effort. Agreed, once you get into the '60s things started to deteriorate in quality of machining of the mating parts, fit and finish.

I apologize. I don't have the types study stuff memorized and tend to just think of WW2 era generally as the cut off for stuff I'd consider. Your experience is no doubt more valid. I was over generalizing and had the 60's and 70's era maroon/blue paint and plastic handled pot metal seeming stuff in my mind's eye.
    Last edited by Sean Hughto; 02-19-2010 at 3:00 PM.