Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many TS blades do I really need??

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Deep-Super-Tuscan-Ornellaia-Sassicaia-Gaja red for the Italian bandsaw group.
    I just blew coffee all over my monitor
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Some very good suggestions on what kinds of blades a good collection should include. But as for brand I'm shocked that so many people are reccomending Freud and Forrest. I'm amazed at how many Forrest fans there are especially considering the price to quality ratio. Maybe I missed it but I'm shocked that there are no reccomendations for Infinity blades! ....
    Since the OP hasn't really weighed in with more specific info, we really haven't progressed to specific suggestions that are suitable for him. I've used some excellent blades from some popular names and some less popular, but have yet to try an Infinity product that didn't elicit a "wow" on first inspection and again on first use. I suspect most people go with the more popular choices with their first big blade expenditures...since those are typically "good nuff", they never look back, and never know what else is out there. I always assumed it was normal to try 40 or 50 blades, but I'm beginning to think I'm wrong...

Montie - After all this great discussion, please tell us you're not a "hit and run"!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I just blew coffee all over my monitor
    Coulda been worse, Glenn - coulda been the Sassicaia!!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

OK, I'm sold! I'll try an Infinity blade sometime.

I have 15-20 TS blades. I use only three or four of them. Really, I should give the others away to someone who does those "cutesy" paintings on old saw blades.

I have a HF blade and a Skill Blade that I use for very rough sizing or cutting up junk boards. Both are disposable.

Then, I have 2 Freud thin kerf blades that I use for everything else. I forget the numbers on the blades. Both produce a glue line rip and perfectly smooth crosscuts.

The most difficult thing for me to adjust to after buying the Freud blades was to get it through my thick head that I don't have to joint an edge after ripping it on that high quality blade! I do use the jointer to get one edge straight to begin with.

I realize that there are different camps on this subject. Still, that's what works for me now.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Wow - thanks for all the opinions!

No Mr. Spencer, I'm not a "hit n'run". I don't post if I have nothing to add... And I've been busy putting mobile bases together and setting up the new Rikon 14" bandsaw. My TS is a DeWalt 746, long rails, wired 240.

It looks like collecting blades is part of the fun!
    My original post said I'll be doing a lot of ply/mel so I think I'll invest in one of those - I have seen the FWW article on blades and will review it for specifics, also Wood or Pop.WW did a review as well.

The dado set I have will do for the ply/mel, if I do fine furniture, I'll spring for better.

Wood Magazine had a breakdown crib project I'd love to make for a friend, so I'll likely pick up a 40-tooth GP blade for that project; Forrest so I can make my own evaluation.

So: a 40-tooth WWII, a ply/mel, and when I start on the workbench top a dedicated rip.

Thanks all for your posts, don't know what I'd do without this site. Next: bandsaw blades!

Montie