Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #13 Simple Red Cedar bowl

#13 Simple Red Cedar bowl

Nothing fancy here - just a very plain (but pleasing to my wife!) little bowl. 8" x 2"
    13-1.jpg13-2.jpg

This is from a blank of eastern red cedar given to me by Tony De Masi - Thanks Toni!! It really has some striking grain. It did crack slightly on me in the sapwood visible in the second pic on the right hand side. CA fixed the problem, but it does show a bit.

Working with this piece kind of brought back memories!! My experience with red cedar goes back to my childhood days in eastern KY. It was the all time favorite "whittlin" wood, and I made a shotgun forearm of a piece from a huge lightning struck cedar when I was about 13. I had skipped school to go squirrel hunting, and slid over a rock ledge with my shotgun, breaking the plastic stock. It was a WWII vintage, and many of the cheaper guns had plastic stocks because of the war effort. Dad was not happy about the skipping school, or the busted stock!!

I have to admit though, this piece was a bear to turn! Wanted to tear out and chip no matter what I did. Sharp tools, shearing cut, planing cut, talking to it, begging..... not much worked. I finally got an acceptable finish, and let the sandpaper take care of the rest!

May not be real fancy but it sure is pretty....
    I like the color in this one. Nice work John.

I love that Juniper, both the color and smell, and hate it for both of these attributes disappearing after a while, but still love turning it, and you did a very nice job on it John
    Have fun and take care

very nice bowl John, cedar is a all time favorite
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

It may be pretty simple, but it is simply pretty!

Looks pretty nice John. I have the same tear out problem with red cedar. Some pieces are worse than others but it can be made smooth with sandpaper. What did you use for finish?

Man dude! When do you sleep? Really gorgeous piece.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Mr Keeton, you are on fire! That's a beautiful bowl!

Sometimes, plain works. It lets the character of the wood shine through. Beautiful bowl, John.

And remember - the 80 grit gouge is just another tool.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Very nice... I can almost smell it from here. Lovely color and a nice simple form.

Very nice bowl John! I like the simple styles when it comes to bowls and save the fancy stuff for other things. I like the flat rim and open form. You did good! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful bowl John. Simple form and it sure does make the shop smell good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John,

Another nice piece. The simple lines really let the color in the wood show. This just shows that a piece does not have to be fancy to look good!

Doug

John...Your wife has good taste! The simple form allows the beauty of the wood be the star of the show! I like it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

very nice...