Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: #13 Simple Red Cedar bowl

Very nice John.,what kind if finish did you use?Poly?
    Donny

Thanks, guys. I will have to admit that I like more going on with a piece, and this was a little too simple for my tastes - but, if we made all them the same, it would be a boring world!! It was a good exercise in form for me, as I venture on down this path - excuse me, as I get sucked deeper into the vortex!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mawson View Post
    What did you use for finish?
    Steve and Donny, I have really enjoyed using the Deft brush on lacquer - satin. This piece has a coat of shellac, rubbed out to nearly gone, and one fairly heavy coat of the Deft, rubbed out with 0000. The Deft really makes a nice finish. It feels and looks like a handrubbed finish. I think I am going to get some of the gloss and try it on some bottle stoppers I need to do, and use it as a friction finish to see what happens.

Very nice John. You have certainly been cutting down on your sleep I'm sure. How did you dry the bowl? DNA?

Since your wife likes it let me know if you (she) wants some more. It would have to wait for the snow to melt however.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

John,

Very nice cedar bowl. I like the clean simple lines that let the wood be the star of the show. BTW it seems that your wife and mine have similar tastes, not only in liking the less artsy turnings, but both seem to have a proclivity for ruggedly handsome men.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony De Masi View Post
    How did you dry the bowl? DNA?

Since your wife likes it let me know if you (she) wants some more. It would have to wait for the snow to melt however.

Tony
    Tony, the cedar was surprisingly dry! It didn't move at all, and felt very dry to the touch though I didn't meter it. I appreciate the offer on more. When we built, we pushed down a large cedar and I moved it to another field with the tractor. After turning this bowl, I will probably cut into it to see if I can get a couple of blanks!! If not, I will be yelling at you!

Quote Originally Posted by steven carter View Post
    BTW it seems that your wife and mine have similar tastes, not only in liking the less artsy turnings, but both seem to have a proclivity for ruggedly handsome men.
    Steve
    Steve, can't speak for you, but my wife has never seen me without a beard for fear she would leave me!!! She threatens to shave me when I am dead, just to see with whom she has been living all these years. God made some men good looking, to the others he gave enough facial hair to hide the horror!

John,

Funny you mention it, I just shaved my beard off this morning. I do keep the mustache and goatee year round. I usually get rid of the beard each spring, and with the weather we are having I thought that maybe it was really that spring arrives each year after I shave off the beard..... really I'm ready to try anything. I really like turning but like golf just as well, and I have a streak of 15 years in which I've played golf at least once each month, and it looks like the month of Feb 2010 may break the streak. We have a couple of feet of snow to melt in 10 days and the temp isn't going to be above freezing for the rest of the month. OH well all good things must come to an end. Also since LOML has been with me for 37 years now, I don't think looks come much into play (at least I hope not).

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.