Thread: Seeking source for "Krenov Style" hinges

Seeking source for "Krenov Style" hinges

Does anyone know of a source or sources for the style of hinges that Jim Krenov used in many of his cabinets? The hinge that I'm referring to mounts on the very top and very bottom of a door with just a wee bit of the hinge exposed from the outside.

The two books that I've read by him mention that he had them custom made somewhere. I like that style of hinge but haven't been able to find anything that's even close to them, thus far.

Thanks in Advance.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

They appear to be knife hinges. www.whitechapel-ltd.com carries very nice knife hinges. They may not be the exact dimensions of the originals but the style is the same.
    makers of fine reproduction brass & iron hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Horton Brasses View Post
    They appear to be knife hinges. www.whitechapel-ltd.com carries very nice knife hinges. They may not be the exact dimensions of the originals but the style is the same.
    Thank you for the info. I've saved that website and will check it out.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

They're knife hinges as mentioned before, and they're available in many places. Lee Valley has them, and I suspect Rockler and Woodcraft as well.

Brusso is another company that makes them.
    http://www.brusso.com/

They're actually fairly easy to make yourself (as Krenov probably did in the beginning). You'll need some brass stock and drill rod plus a bandsaw (or a coping saw if you're old school), drill, # bits, countersink, file. That's about all. A disc sander will speed things up when it comes time to "mating" the top and bottom leafs.

I know that the Inside Passage School covers hinge-making in one of their courses.

Brusso generously makes measured drawing available:
    http://www.brusso.com/Product/dimensions/L-37.pdf

g'luck

kg

Thank you all for your replies and the info. It certainly helps to know the correct name for the item that one is trying to find! Knife Hinges. I got it, now. Thanks again.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568