Thread: "The Chair" by Hans Wegner Video

"The Chair" by Hans Wegner Video

I saw this posted in the neander section and I thought the machining of the parts would be of interest here. http://www.pp.dk/index.php?page=gallery&cat=14&id=173

I wanted to point out how amazing it is to see the back/armrest joint come out of the CNC and get glued up. It's at 5:30 into the video. No checking for fit,just glued up perfectly.
    Lots of amazing things in the video, from logging to drying the stock. Secrets revealed of a very classic chair.
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 08-31-2013 at 6:41 PM.

This was very interesting, even with subtitles. I thought the reason for the existence of the forest was great. Thanks for posting it.

In 1990, I had the great pleasure in being given the commission to recane a pair of his chairs that were done in Teak during the ‘60’s. They were in the classic mode of rattan cane seat and the smoothed, flowing backrest to armrest transition. Unbelievably pure in the aesthetic, the attention to detail was nonpareil, even the tacking of the cane below the seat was overlaid with ½ round rattan binder so easy on the eye.

wegner-hans-j-1914-2007-denmar-the-chair-3172648.jpg
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Amazing and enlightening video! I am a little surprised that they use a CNC now to manufacture parts of them. The simple grace of that chair design still radiates.

Thanks for posting that video.

I had always wondered if Sam Maloff was influenced by hans? thank you for posting.
    jack
    English machines

This amazes me. Pretty interesting .Thanks for sharing this.