Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bogus intent to purchase email floating about

Bogus intent to purchase email floating about

Yes, another one. This one starts off almost legit, wanting a quote for a ca-zillion tags with payment by credit card. The kicker is when their rep is going to stop by to pick them up and ship them to Sweden.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Not a problem. Please have your rep bring cash to prepay for the order.

Heck, I only get the guy that needs 3,000 inspirational banners.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

4. Quote Originally Posted by Randy Digby View Post
    Yes, another one. This one starts off almost legit, wanting a quote for a ca-zillion tags with payment by credit card. The kicker is when their rep is going to stop by to pick them up and ship them to Sweden.
    Can you send me a copy of the e-mail? It would be interesting to see if it's from a real person.

Hm ... at least you guys have something to keep your laser busy

From me they only want a couple of hundred sewing machines shipped to Africa

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

What does this have to do with engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Tania Duper View Post
    What does this have to do with engraving?

Well, they probably want the ca-zillion tags and the banners engraved - in my case I didn't ask if the sewing machines were supposed to be engraved

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen

I've already dumped the emails. It was a real person, but with a poor command of the English language...not that I'm much better.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Digby View Post
    with a poor command of the English language...not that I'm much better.
    But you are from Georgia, you have an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    But you are from Georgia, you have an excuse...
    Scuse me Gary, what perzactly is it you'uns is trying to imply here?

I don't get any laser related e-mails but I do get the ones from the African prince who needs to unload a lot of cash. Oh, and yesterday I won a kajillion dollars in an out of country lottery.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

I don't get as many of those as I used to. if you send them to spamcop, you will get back a link to a page that traces the entire path it took to get to you, and where it came from. The vast majority come out of Ghana, and try to look like they came from some Reverend, and wants a gajillion posters/signs/tags/etc. that say something like 'save the children' Somewhere on the creek there is a string I posted where I lead this 'customer' on for a bit.. They use everything from counterfit cheques, to bogus transport companies, stolen credit cards etc.. THEY ARE ALL SCAMS just dump them..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea Weissenseel View Post
    Well, they probably want the ca-zillion tags and the banners engraved - in my case I didn't ask if the sewing machines were supposed to be engraved
    In my case it's because I do make banners, I never had them try it with laser work but I'm sure it's the same scam.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I have a email file with a whole collection of them.. It's almost a hobby.. I got a interesting one the other day, from the FBI telling me that the lottery money that was waiting for me was legit, because it had been fully checked out by the FBI I had nothing at all to worry about, just contact the email 'provided' by them to see how I could get the millions I won.. Gosh, I must be rich, because the FBI sent me a email telling me so.. The FBI is certainly nice to us Canadians. Not Like the RCMP that would just Taser you...
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

14. If someone else get such mail from sweden, I can contact the sender and check if it's someone that is really interested of if its a scam. Just that the english isnt good doesnt mean that it's a scam, since english isnt the native language in sweden.

Blog Entries
    Niklas,

Certainly true, but I think most are simplifying the "poor English" excuse for brevity. Most of the scam letters have a certain flow to the way of speaking, not just a poor grasp of the English language and grammar skills. I can tell the difference between a native South American speaker and a native Asian speaker (usually) by the way they murder the language. The Nigerian scams also tend to bring religion into the mix a LOT more than any other country... probably because it works by preying (praying? ) on the "I need to do good in this world" attitude of the religiously strong-willed, of which there are plenty in the US. On the whole, we're a pretty greedy (and gullible) lot...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5