Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Corian Attempt

First Corian Attempt

I just bought a truckload of corian and tried my first sign for a tool I will be carrying in my store.A little rough on the router I know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian J Rogalny; 02-15-2010 at 6:27 PM. Reason: no picture

Looks amazing. Wait....it looks horrible. No, great, no horrible.....wait.... can't tell because there's no photo attached!
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian J Rogalny View Post
    I just bought a truckload of corian and tried my first sign for a tool I will be carrying in my store.A little rough on the router I know.
    Corian cuts very nicely on the router. The stress on your equipment will be less than many hardwoods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

We have a PHOTO!!!! WOOO HOOOO!
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Looks good Brian. Did you paint fill the engraving?
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Thanks Larry,I was going to but didn't have any green paint to match the companys color.

That would be a nice touch. Pick up some Testors at a hobby shop. Might not be an exact match but you can probably come close.
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Very, very good! What flavor of Corian did you use?

The green paint fill, I think, would set it off!

Thanks!
    David
    Epilog Legend 24TT 40w and Epilog Legend 36EXT 75w Lasers, ShopBot PRT4848 CNC Router, Roland SP300V Wide Format Printer/Cutter, BabyLoc 6-needle Embroidery Machine, Mini Lathe and Mini Mill, DeWalt DW737 Planer, Joiner, CorelDRAW X4 & X5, CorelDRAWings X4 , PhotoGrav, VCarvePro v4.6, Cut3D, Rhino v3.0, Aspire v3, ZBrush 3.

I have just about every color, I used the Lava Rock

Festool corian

I took the advice and painted, glad I did it matches the company color perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice Brian!

Next time try cutting the letters from green engravers plastic and inlay them. You can adjust the depth of engraving so the plastic stands proud of the surface of the Corian. I use CA glue to inlay engravers plastic and I use both paint and plastic inlays on a lot of my signs. Acrylic gold and silver mirror is another material that can produce some stunning inlays.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-20-2010 at 9:16 AM.

Wayyy cool. I like it.

Can you walk through the procedure?

Great looking sign. I seem to have challenges with getting clean "paint filled" items. Edges seem to bleed and it just makes a mess.

So I was wondering if the following made sense or do I have my process messed up?

1 - Mask material
    2 - Vector outline of letters (light - just enough to cut the tape)
    3 - Pull tape letters out
    4 - Raster to depth you want
    5 - Paint fill (brush/spray) and let dry
    6 - Pull remaining mask and clean

So since you engraved your sign and then paint filled (without any masking), did you just use a fine detail brush? How did you get it to look so clean.

Thx - Bugs
    Bugs

Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W
    Job Control X
    Mac/Fusion 10
    Corel 2018

Bugs, with the Corian, you can just engrave it, spray paint all over it, and then hit it with a orbital sander. The paint stays down in the engraving and the sander cuts all the paint off the top. Works like a dream. No paint brushes or masking needed at all.

Bugs
    Scott is right on the Corian. But,I'm sure your having the same issue with other materials..right? What are you using for mask? You would think that masking tape from the paint store would work, but I have tried that and have the same problems with the paint "wicking" around the edges, go figure. I have used a polyester mask with success. The one I use is called Pflex and I get it from Piedmont Plastics in Charlotte, NC. Laserbits also sells one they call Polyester Flex but I haven't tried it. May be the same stuff.