Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CS for a EZ Smard Guide system... Which one?

CS for a EZ Smart Guide system... Which one?

I am about 75% decided on the EZ Smart Guide system and not the other brand. I will be buying a new CS to go with this system. I seek your opinion on which brand, and model of CS you find to be best, or which CS works best with the EZ Smart Guide system in general.
    Last edited by Ed Lang; 10-28-2004 at 9:41 AM.

Ed,

I have seen the EZ Guiderails and they are very nice and very well thought out. A CS purchase hugh? Get the Porter-Cable saw that has the dust collection port built in. Sorry....I don't remember the model, but Steve Clardy, my Undercover-Brother , has one and I wouldn't mind having one. Just my opinion though.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Make that two votes for Porter Cable, Ed. I recently got the 325 Mag, sweet saw...

Ed, if you're on a somewhat lower budget than what the PC allows for, you might consider the Ryobi. Step-daughter bought me one for B-day and it's not bad. There is a DC port on it, though probably not as efficient as the PC. I also thought the laser guide on it would be kinda' hokey, but it works quite well.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Berendsohn
    Make that two votes for Porter Cable, Ed. I recently got the 325 Mag, sweet saw...
    Are you using it with the EZ Smart Guide system?

Yes I am Ed. Originally BTW I bought a Ryobi, since I was just testing the system out and it did quite a good job... But if you can spring for the PC it is certainly a great choice.

Ed...I bought a PC left blade....I'm right handed...it's nice to see the cut line without contorting my neck. I've had it for about 18 months....great saw! I would have bought the worm screw drive version but as I'm getting older I find I don't handle those as well as I did 30 years ago.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

As you probably are aware Ed, you really should purchase RH saw for use with the SmartGuide, all RH vs LH arguments aside...

Yes I am Ed. Originally BTW I bought a Ryobi, since I was just testing the system out and it did quite a good job... But if you can spring for the PC it is certainly a great choice.
    I thought about no more than $200 for the CS plus the guide system..... I think the PC will fit within that.

Think you'll be a tad bit higher than that Ed but if you can the PC is a first class choice...

Think you'll be a tad bit higher than that Ed but if you can the PC is a first class choice...
    I better make sure I get this right the first time! Which model is it that you are suggesting I get?

PC model 325MAG?

That's the one Ed... I swapped the blade for a Freud but believe it or not, the "Framer" blade that came with it did a remarkably good job, even on thinly veneered plywood.

I installed my Dewalt on the EZ Smart base that Steve's long lost twin brother gave me (That's Chris P. for those not paying attention to the forum). It installed flawlessly and I didn't even have to trim the saw base. Four simple holes and it's operational. One drawback is it has no dust collection. I used one of the blades I have in stock with the saw and it produced very clean cuts, but I will most likely buy one of the 40 or 60 tooth carbide plywood blades I spied at HD this week. So far its just being used free hand (no system) and I've never had this clean of cuts on both sides of the cut.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

CS for a EZ Smard Guide system... Which one?

I agree with the choice of Porter Cable. Of course, I have a dealer about 5 miles from here so if I need something, i.e., parts, service, it's great.

I have the PC 347 brake right and it works great. Porter Cable doesn't make it any more but can be purchased on e-bay, etc. I also have an older PC (at least 10 years) and that worked but the "plunge" part wasn't and that is why I went with the 347.

The newer PC's blade right saws are the 324mag and 325mag, the 325mag having the brake. The costs are about $130 and $150.

And yes, you'll need the blade right to work with the Smart System. And I love my system. I cut a lot of long planks, i.e., 12' plus, so I got a couple of extra 4' sections. I also got a couple of shorter sections for cross cutting.

Oh, make sure to read the Smart Guide review by Steve Jenkins, today, Eurekazone's EZ Smart Guide.

Regards, Joe

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Coffelt
    I installed my Dewalt on the EZ Smart base that Steve's long lost twin brother gave me (That's Chris P. for those not paying attention to the forum). It installed flawlessly and I didn't even have to trim the saw base. Four simple holes and it's operational. One drawback is it has no dust collection. I used one of the blades I have in stock with the saw and it produced very clean cuts, but I will most likely buy one of the 40 or 60 tooth carbide plywood blades I spied at HD this week. So far its just being used free hand (no system) and I've never had this clean of cuts on both sides of the cut.
    Ah, good, I was wondering when you might get around to trying it out. I guess I should try the Smartbase on my Skil Mag worm-drive saw and see how it does.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.