Thread: Weekend doings

Weekend doings

Finished these three walnut bowls this weekend. I worked quite a while on the natural edge to get this shape. It's amazing how an hour flies just shaping a bowl. The Ogee shaped bowl was a first for me and I like it. The other is a potpouri bowl that has really pretty wood and would have made a really nice HF but I dont have the equipment. Left a small piece of bark on the pot, hopefully it sticks. All finished with waterlox, which is becoming quite thick. If I pour MS in it will it help? Thanks for looking, and please comment on the bowls for me, C&C welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J Lalonde View Post
    Finished these three walnut bowls this weekend. I worked quite a while on the natural edge to get this shape. It's amazing how an hour flies just shaping a bowl. The Ogee shaped bowl was a first for me and I like it.
    An hour or more!
    Very pretty bowls. Nice job on Ogee shape and the NE one looks great as well and a good job holding the bark on. The NE and the potpouri look like the same tree. What was the history/reason for the different color for the other? Kiln dried? All very pretty!

Those are all very nice, good job.

Yes, Baxter those two were from the same tree. That tree was much darker and prettier wood. Only found 4 pieces that were cut by a power line company. Thanks

Kevin, it is so hard to go wrong with walnut!! My favorite wood.

The clear winner here for me is the NE bowl. Very nice shape, and you did a great job with it. The little pot pourri bowl is nice as well.

On the ogee bowl, the wood is beautiful, and the bowl is very pleasing. I think the only change might be a little smaller foot, but it is a really pretty piece - very warm looking and just needs to have some fruit in it for a very nice picture!!

On the Waterlox, while I have never used that particular product, it does seem to have a very short shelf life. I think it would be a mistake to try to thin it. What is probably happening is the chemical action of curing, and thinning will not stop that. In fact, you may end up merely breaking up the partially cured particles, and end up with a finish that will remain tacky. Unfortunately, I would toss it.

Kevin - real nice work on all three!

The NE really stands out! Very nice form - great looking wood! Very nice job keeping all the bark in place!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Really very nice work on all. NE is a beauty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Vary nice!!

Very nice work... Gotta love walnut! I particularly like the NE piece with that jagged bark edge. Thanks for posting.

Very nice on all. I wish I could get walnut like you did around here. One question, did the ogee bowl change shape? It might just be the pic, but the rime looks a little warped. They are all still outstanding.
    Matt Newton
    IAFF Local 2664

non illigitimi carborundum

yeah matt it sure did go slightly oval on me. It had been drying about 7mths in my garage. It was about 5/8" thick prior to returning. Felt dry while turning but? Thanks