Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Lab countertop for a router table?

Black Lab countertop for a router table?

I have aquired some good size pieces of black laboratory countertop from a job. I haven't decided what to do with it yet but am in need of a router table. I was thinking that this would make a perfectly flat top and would remain that way for years. The stuff is super hard though and do not know if it is worth my effort. Has anyone ever had to cut or rout this sort of material? Would it be worth making a recess for a router plate to gain easier access of zero clearance inserts as well as other accessories that easily mount to the plates, including the router itself? Seems as though it would be tough to machine this recess. I just like idea due to the durability of this stuff as well as the stability. It would never move from enviromental reasons and would never sag from router weight.

And here I was trying to figure out how you turn a dog into a table top...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    Me too. I'm so disappointed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In the old days those countertops were often made from soapstone, so I think you would have to have your cutting done by a place that has that tooling. I seem to rember a poster a while back had one done out of granite, you might search for that post.

More recently there are manmade materials, either cement formed in a press, or even some epoxy resin. If you have the resin product it might be machinable with regular carbide tooling.

I kind of like the idea of a soapstone router table

Lol, I never noticed the black lab title. That sounds terrible.

I think that it is some sort of epoxy resin, I don't believe it's soapstone. I haven't tried cutting into yet.
    Last edited by Tony Shea; 02-16-2010 at 1:45 PM.

I picked up an inexpensive piece of scrap black granite and plan to do the same thing. There there are various ways to cut the opening, none easy. I plan to take it to a fabrication shop and have the opening cut on their CNC abrasive water jet machine. These machines can cut all sorts of materials, are really accurate, and leave a nice edge. The only negative, is it will cost me $75 for the 9 1/4" x 11 3/4" opening. At least that is what they quoted last year, but who knows if their business has improved it could be more!

It will probably require water cooled tooling to make the hole, but it would be a nice router table. Check with a couple cabinet shops in the area.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

When the guys on my jobs (I've built a couple $50M+ labs for a University) need to trim down a piece of soapstone, they've cut without water cooled equipment. I'm not sure exactly what kind of blade they use, but we have them do it outside because it is extremely dusty. Sorry I can't be more help.

I just finished not to long ago installing my own prefab granite. I had to cut it to lenght and drill faucet holes. I was amazed at how easily 1" 1/4 granite cut, drilled and polished all dry. I used a 7" diamond blade on my circular saw. I bought my tools from www.toolocity.com. Some day when it warms up here in Pa I will post my new kitchen in the projects forum but the countertops are great.

Bob

I have heard that cutting these tops will create some nasty dust. Im might check around to see what it would cost to have it milled locally by a professional.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    I was in the same boat. I thought labs were only good for duck or pheasant hunts.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have had 2 slabs of the same laboratory material, and the exact same thought came into my mind. I would love to know how to machine this stuff because it is super hard, heavy and a black surface would look really cool in the shop.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Buy a cheap carbide tipped router bit and see how well it does or doesn't.
    If it is soapstone, it might work because I used to turn soapstone on a lathe.
    Why a router bit? Because that is what you will be using to cut out the recess.
    Anyway, try it and you will eliminate a lot of guess work on here.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Tony,
    Before you go to messing with the lab top, make sure it isn't based with asbestos binders in the top. I used to work for a large university and had to test all installations before renovations were done. Many of them contain asbestos to be resistant to burners and other hot devices.

Cutting such tops with asbestos will permit the particles to become air born and could get into your lungs. Wearing a mask is not a solution either. That dust will get into everything and will get stirred up and could be a long-term problem.

If you contact a testing lab in your area, they can come take a core sample and test it for you. Better safe than sorry.
    Kev

Check out a monument, grave marker company,,, betcha they could do it.