Thread: Routers, Epoxy and repairs, Oh my!

Routers, Epoxy and repairs, Oh my!

I have a small repair that I have "figured out", but am curious if anybody has done something similar. Basically I already routed out a Soss hinge mortise, and the deepest part is only 1/64" from what will be the back side. (Error in design.) Basically, I routed about 3/32" deeper than needed, so my thinking is thus: fill the bottom w/ 1/8"+ of sawdust filled 5-minute epoxy. Let sit for ~30 minutes (the point between too soft and too brittle), and then re-route the deepest mortises as conservatively as will fit. The new layer will make sure that in my final piece, that 1/64" thickness turns into at least 5/64", and if by chance I sand/plane through, it will maintain the color of the material via the sawdust.

Has anybody run a router bit through epoxy? It's a very light cut, but in very thin-walled space, where burning or router jumpiness could tear through the wall and force a remake of the hinged piece.

Thanks,

-b

Do you have any leftover material that you can test your repair method with? It sounds plausible to me, but I've never routed epoxy. Another option would be to route out a dutchman and glue it in place, then re-machine the mortise from scratch.

I'd be more inclined to make the pocket deeper and inlay a dutchman. Then after the glue dries clean it up and then go back to re-mill the pocket.

You can route the epoxy + sawdust mixture but give it 24 hours to cure at room temperature. Especially if you have any volume present. It will take a while before you have something other than a gooey center. While routing it, go slow and take light passes. I've had it chip out but that was re-routing an edge profile where I patched a knot (dumb move not to plan around the knot but too late). Lucky for me the chipping wasn't too deep and the final skim pass cleaned it up.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

I've never routed through 5 minute epoxy, but I have routed and drilled through the slow setting epoxy, and man that is a beast. Dulled my bits like crazy, I would avoid it if possible.

results...

Just for future reference, I went ahead with it as described. I waited about 30m after application before routing out the 5-minute epoxy. It was hard to the touch, and cut cleanly with a chisel (left some out to check). When routing it created a "gum dust" kind of stuff -- not actually dust, since a vacuum wouldn't pick it up, but I could scrape it out with not too much work. The cutting was smooth and easy, although it was a nearly new bit. The hardest part was scraping the epoxy gum off the bit itself, but otherwise all is well.

Thanks again!

-b