Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #12 Claro Walnut and Curly Maple - a blend of classic and contemporary

John, I really like the contemporary look of this piece. Two beautiful pieces of wood that really compliment each other.
    Do you ever sleep?

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Well done indeed, and at such a stage, I'll change that to "exceptionally well done".
    Can you spare a few words on the signature process?
    thx...

Well done once again John. Of course using two of your, and my, favorite woods only adds to it' likability. I hope you don't have many flat work jobs you have to get to.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

You guys are great!! I really appreciate and enjoy the encouraging remarks. My wife doesn't care for the HFs, so the last couple of pieces before this one were way to "arsty" for her. But, she liked this one. For a couple of weeks there, you all were my only source of support!! I guess I have to throw in a "regular bowl" now and then to get spousal approval!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Chester View Post
    Like Curt, I'm curious to see if you have warping issues over time in reference to moisture content of the purchased wood...
    Gary, I am not so much concerned on the moisture content of either wood, as both were bone dry. If there is a problem, I think it will be related to seasonal movement of the two woods. If they expand across the grain, then the lid is stuck!!! That may well happen, but we keep the house air conditioned in the summer and the relative humidity should stay nearly the same or less than it is now. I am hoping the two pieces of wood have reached their equilibrium and there will be little change. It might help if both of us kept our fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    John..... a donut chuck...you can use to access either the bottom or the top of a bowl or hollow form.
    Ken, I will have to think about that! How would one flip the bowl to access the rim in a donut chuck?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Zax View Post
    Can you spare a few words on the signature process?
    thx...
    Norm, the medallion is a 1.5" laser cut piece of maple that is recessed for a penny. I either recess the foot with a gouge, scraper and skew - or, drill it with a forstner before getting too far along with the blank. One can take the piece, still on the chuck, to the drill press. But, most of the time it is just as easy to cut the recess while spinning. You just have to remember that extra depth when you do the inside!

do you work for a living???? i'm seriously jealous of your shop time another awesome piece. your work is really getting good. congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haas View Post
    do you work for a living???? i'm seriously jealous of your shop time...
    Thanks, Chris. I am fortunate in that I am self employed, and I only schedule appointments 4 days a week. I live only 5 minutes from my office, and if things are slow, I will head home. One might call it "gradual retirement!" It is a blessed life, and I thank the good Lord daily. The kids are grown, and my wife and I both have active hobbies, and little else in the way of responsibilities.

This piece didn't take long. I had good wood, and I probably have 5 hours in it total, spread over a couple of days - not counting the finish. I think I did most of that Friday afternoon (my day off), and finished up Saturday between other things. Then Sunday I applied finish between church, going on a shopping trip with the wife, etc. The lacquer finish goes on in 5 minutes, wait an hour, and another 5-10 minutes to buff it out and apply another coat, etc.

Wow, just beautiful, John. You've hit another one out of the park!

I love the wood combination, and the finial is perfect. Nicely done, JK.

Brian

BTW, those photos have been downloaded to the "inspiration" folder on my computer.
    Last edited by Brian Effinger; 02-15-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

John,

Another winner. Love the contemporary style. It's funny, I am not a fan of mixed woods on flatwork, but I really think they work on turned pieces. These work well together.

Outstanding, John!

John,
    Very very very nice. I think this might be my favorite do date. Keep them coming.
    Jack

John - that is beautiful. I really like the contrast and the finish is looks great.
    Tim
    "Anything is possible, only believe"

Wow vary nice!!

Are you going to work any more?

John, By the amount of wonderful turnings you are putting out either you are not sleeping or the office has figured you took a trip around the world! Great bowl and the contrasting woods are super!! It is a very nice design and has tons of good things going for it! That little Delta is eaning its keep for you. Keep up the great production.

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Thanks again, guys! You all are great, and I so much appreciate all the kind words. And, Jeff, yes I do love the Delta!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hubl View Post
    It's funny, I am not a fan of mixed woods on flatwork, but I really think they work on turned pieces. These work well together.
    Mark, as others on the creek know, walnut and curly maple are my favorite woods, and I have used them together on several flatwork projects - against all convention apparently!! It was an easy choice for me to do the same on round stuff. The Claro has so much more color than does Black Walnut. I really enjoy working with it.