Thread: C & C please!

C & C please!

Both pots are 5.5" x 5.5"...sanded to 1500...NO finish at all.

Dark pot is lacewood.

Your comments welcome!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both are nice looking... a little oil might make the grain pop a bit. They are a little taller than the potpourri vessels I've seen previously, but they should work just fine.

Nice work. Now that is some fine finish work. I agree on the oil popping the grain, and I believe it would also show off the fine glue work you have done. Without some contrast, it is hard to appreciate the segmenting.

BTW, I just ordered some pot pourri lids today!! Must be the season for them.

Very nice work Walt! Another vote for some type of oil to help the grain jump out at you! Outstanding joinery!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

C & C...... I have completely different C&C on each one.......

The maple pot is too tall and looks heavy. I am guessing from your dimensions that you used 1" thick wood. It probably would have looked better with thinner rings, say 1/2", and a couple of inches shorter overall. Also, the ring joints look good and the rings are very well aligned, but it looks in the photo like there are some gaps where the rings themselves are joined together. One time-saving trick is to make the rings an inch thick, then split them into 2 rings. (Easy to do with a jig.) Turn them half a segment and glue them back together and you have 2 x 1/2" thick rings, but you only had to make one ring to get them.

The lacewood pot is very nice. All of the joints look perfect and it is a very well proportioned shape. I would take the top off and use it on another project though. I think that the bowl/pot/vase would stand on it's own merits it is so nice and the top actually detracts from your work. Once again, it is very well done.

Good luck with your next project!

Really nice pieces. I agree with a oil finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks for the feedback!

I've taken your advice, and finished the maple pot with Tung Oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McGowen View Post
    C & C...... I have completely different C&C on each one.......

The maple pot is too tall and looks heavy. I am guessing from your dimensions that you used 1" thick wood. It probably would have looked better with thinner rings, say 1/2", and a couple of inches shorter overall.
    Robert;

Thanks for the feedback...usually when I use 1/2" thick ring, it's when I'm doing open-segment work and I want the piece to look "delicate"....

I'm going to do another pot (same overall dimensions) with 1/2" rings and see how it feels!

Walt

Now, that livened it up. I bet the lacewood would benefit even greater. Nice work Walt.

Really nice pots. I like the 2nd one with the flared collar best, but they're both nice.

What a difference a little oil can make!! Much better!

The oil sure made a difference! Grain really stands out!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!