Thread: $150 for a tube TV - Really?

$150 for a tube TV - Really?

I was looking at Craiglist for something today and ran across someone selling a 27" tube TV for $150. Someone would be crazy to pay $150 for a tube TV. I can't believe the seller thinks someone would pay anything close to that much.

Granted it is a Sony Trinitron and was a nice TV in its day, but the seller would probably be lucky to give it away. I have the same TV purchased almost 10 years ago and I am anticipating either giving it away or paying for recycling when I get my plasma TV in a month or two.

Probably a CRT as opposed to tube electronics.
    Our HDTV is a Sony WEGA with a 34" CRT. Heavy as all get out, (200 lbs) but the picture is better than any LCD, Plasma, etc. on the market.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Yes, the TV in question is a CRT. A lot of people call them tube TVs as they have picture tubes.

I know the TV on Craigslist is not HDTV capable. I wouldn't mind a CRT HDTV if I had room for one. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit in my built-in TV cabinet. Nobody makes new ones, but the Sony 34" one is sold used pretty often.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Our HDTV is a Sony WEGA with a 34" CRT. Heavy as all get out, (200 lbs) but the picture is better than any LCD, Plasma, etc. on the market.
    CRT = Cathode Ray Tube, hence "tube TV", versus today's projection (rear or front), plasma and LCD. I can't imagine too many folks are watching TV on a set with vacuum tube electronics anymore, and the Sony Trinitron was definitely well into the IC era when it was first developed (and 27" wasn't common until the mid-1990s).

Jason
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

The worst TV I ever owned (actually still own but its been at a repair shop since April 2009) was/is a Sony 32 inch XBR Wega.

Absolutely a stunning image but the tube kept blowing. The first time it was under warranty, but I still paid just under a $1k to have it fixed. Didn't use it much and it went bad again.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    CRT = Cathode Ray Tube,
    Yes. I'm very well aware of that.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Agree, I have a WEGA also, superb image, the only downside is the lift truck needed to put in the cabinet.

Holy cow that thing is heavy.............Rod.