Thread: Burned Switch Question

Burned Switch Question

I've been routing holes for about 3 hours. I've been turning the HF dust collector off and on throughout, not very often. The switch seemed stuck on ON the last time I tried to shut it off, so I unplugged it. The pics show that the connector? got burnt out. I went to Menards and they did not have anything like this. Where can I get something to replace this switch. Also there were two black and two white wires connecting. How will I know which ones to connect to again. Any help would be much appreciated.

PS, was there anything I could have done to prevent this? Did I do anything wrong. FYI, this was a motor and switch that had gone through the flood in my basement and dried out and the bearing were replaced by a shop.

Thanks,

Darren

Switch 001.jpg

Switch 002.jpg

Switch 003.jpg

That is a double pole, double throw switch.
    A black and white go to the wall socket, the other black and white go to the motor.
    To prevent this happening again, wire up a plug/switch in an electrical box, with a cord to plug into the wall. Plug the DC into that. Use that switch to turn the DC on and off. If that switch fries, it's easier and cheaper to replace. Wire nut the white wires together, and connect the blacks to the switch.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 02-13-2010 at 9:06 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

that switch is a double pole, single throw switch, can get them at local appliance repair shop, used on many tools and commercial appliances

check these out, several switches, your switch should snap out of the plate
    http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=9080112

the switch plate looks like a standard sized plate, measure the screw holes and see if a switch used for lighting (like in your house) will fit in box

if it will get a 20a 2 pole switch and plate

My bad. Single throw.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Needless to say, HF does not *over-engineer* their wares! A DC is hard on a light-duty switch because the motor starts under full load each and every time. Over time the contacts pit and then fry shut. A heavier, higher amperage switch will prevent (or prolong) this happening again. An industrial-grade 20 amp DPST switch will give you good service.

A step up would be a manual 2-pole motor switch such as the Square D 2510. These can be had very reasonably on eBay, and will probably last indefinately.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I've changed out warn out switches in the house, but never anything like this. Here is what I found on ebay for square D 2510:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...=Square+D+2510

Myk:

Can you please help me to understand this better:

"To prevent this happening again, wire up a plug/switch in an electrical box, with a cord to plug into the wall. Plug the DC into that."

Can any of you please tell me which one will work and if you don't mind specific instructions on how to hook it up. I have no electrical experience but can follow directions, even better if you can make a little drawing that I can follow. Thanks a lot. Will this work?

worhttp://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17401&filter=router%20switchk?

Darren

Don't forget to check out Grizzly. I know they have several type of switches available as well.

Will this work to replace the DPST switch?

http://grizzly.com/products/110-220V...f-Switch/H8238

Wondering whether this Grizzly magnetic switch would be safer than the DPST rocker switches?

There are two black and two white wires and one green wire.

Thanks,

Darren

A mag switch on a DC could be considered overkill. It is more recommended on power tools with blades, etc.

You can use a 20 amp wall switch. I use a 15 amp wall switch. Just wire it between the black wires and connect the whites together. The green is ground.

Myk,

So I don't need to get a DPST switch. Just get a regualr wall switch from Home Depot and hook it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Vass View Post
    Myk,

So I don't need to get a DPST switch. Just get a regualr wall switch from Home Depot and hook it up?
    No, a wall switch is not rated for motor loads.

You need a switch with a horsepower rating stamped on it.

Make a note of the motor current in amperes, voltage and horsepower rating, then go buy a suitable switch.

Regards, Rod.

you can use a standard double pole wall switch

the 20 & 30 amp switches by p&s, leviton, hubble and many others sold here in the states are horse power rated for motor loads

we buy the leviton 3032-2 30 amp 2 pole switch for less than the 20 amp 2 pole, use them on air handlers, water heaters and well pumps daily

Thanks Rod.

Another Option

Another option which will reduce your walking back and forth to the DC is to add a remote control. Purchase a Lone Ranger remote control (Amazon - $56.65 - Copy and paste this "Long Ranger Dust Collector Switch" into Amazons search box) in the voltage that your DC uses. It's available in 120V or 220V. Order the one that matches your DC.

This assumes there is an electrical cord on your DC running from the burnt switch box to a wall outlet. To install the remote simply throw away your burnt switch, wire nut the white wire to the other white wire and the black wire to the other black wire that are inside the switch box. Put the old cover without the burned switch back onto the switch box to cover up the wire nuts. Or better yet go to the hardware and pick up a blank switch cover and use that instead of the old cover with the hole in it. Now just plug the remote control box into the wall outlet and the DC power cord into the control box and your back in business. In the mean time if you need to use the DC before you get the remote control just plug the DC into the wall and it will start. Unplug it when you are done.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Vass View Post
    Wondering whether this Grizzly magnetic switch would be safer than the DPST rocker switches?

There are two black and two white wires and one green wire.

Thanks,

Darren
    Last edited by James Combs; 02-15-2010 at 9:36 AM.

"The best things in life are not things."