Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: You might be a woodworker if...

... You can't go to a new resturant without trying to identify the wood used in its decor and furnishings.

... you try to bookmatch the slices of bread on your sandwich.

... you participate in "you might be a woodworker..." threads ... :P
    Jason Beam
    Sacramento, CA

beamerweb.com

... you don't covet your neighbors new Porche.

... you forget to eat lunch, and dinner.

... you manage to spend just the right amount of time reading these, of course the time's available only because the finish is setting up and running the saw is a no-no.

... Hmmm.... car payment / load of lumber..... car payment / load of lumber...
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Max View Post
    You have been caught---stealing a peice of firewood for your lathe --while on vaction
    Hubby says this is me! Actually, I didn't steal it, I was given free reign to take all I wanted, so I did.

We were on vacation in Colorado and stopped at a little woodworking shop in Palisade, Colorado (hubby's idea of the perfect vacation - visit every little woodworking shop he can find ). Anyway, the owner was very nice, invited us in and showed us around, including the 3-foot-high stack of milled 4/4 walnut sitting on a pair of sawhorses. Seems he has just finished milling all this walnut for the flooring in the new house he's building. As I was wandering around and admiring his shop, I noticed a stack of cutoffs sitting on the floor next to his chop saw, including a LOT of walnut cutoffs. I asked him what he was going to do with the cutoffs; his reply: "burn them"!!!! I asked him if I could have a few pieces and he told me to take all I wanted, so I filled up a 12x18x10" deep box with his cutoffs - got enough walnut to turn about 200 or so pens!!! Even the cutoffs were pretty - I've already turned two of the most gorgeous walnut burl pens I've ever seen.

One is going to him - as I told him, I don't get without giving something in return.

Nancy (131 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

You have NO IDEA how many of these apply to my spouse! It's scary. Are you SURE you didn't bug our house????

Nancy (131 days)
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

You might be a wood worker if:

You wake in the middle of the night with a revolutionary new way to complete a difficult project. (That everyone else but you already knew.)

You find your friends being very apprehensive about setting down that cold water dripping coke. (Remembering what happened the last time they did.)

Every construction site within a hundred miles knows your truck on sight.

DT

You might be a woodworker if,,,,,,,,

you sort out turning stock from the load of firewood as you stack the load!

...when your 'Tool Wish list' is longer then SWMBO's vacation travel list.

...when SWMBO asks what video you want and she fails to see the humor when you answer 'Mastering the Router'. Only you weren't joking.

Blog Entries
    If the LOYL doesn't so much as raise an eyebrow anymore when you buy another clamp(s).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

when you can identify the type/species of wood by smells of cutting or burning... and all the wife can smell is "smoke"

when you cry cutting up a cherry tree in the neighbors yard and you have no more room in your storage shed for a tiny piece...

when you're in California for a week long trip (not related to wood of course) and get excited about a major storm system knocking trees down all over in the hills...
    yes - it costs me over $100 bills to have some trimmed up by a local shop and then shipped home by UPS. That man thought I was nuts... So did the UPS clerk...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Taylor View Post
    Any time you see a baseball bat crack, you think " I bet I can make a better one..."
    LOL!!!! My 11 year old just said that this week. "Dad, I bet I could make one that won't break."

Blog Entries
    … After watching The New Yankee Workshop you say, “I could do that too, if I had all of his tools.”

Here's another...

When you come home from work and go to work...

You put off retirement for 2 more years so you can order and pay for that new bandsaw, dc, jointer and lathe you have been drooling over.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Far too many of these apply. I'm especially embarrassed by having noticed the caulk in the joints of a loved ones coffin. (No not a coffin smoother!)

• You hang unfinished wood on the wall because it's too pretty to work.
    • You visit friends with antiques and find yourself sitting on the floor inspecting joinery.
    • Others are impressed with your work, but all you can see are the mistakes.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

and . . .
    • You tell your wife you were shopping for a tool all day in a nearby city, and only came back with a chisel which you said cost $150 . . . and she's not even suspicious. (And since everyone reading this is a woodworker, they aren't sure what she should be suspicious about.)
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate