Thread: Cold air intake

Cold air intake

Good morning everyone.

This may be a silly idea, but what about adding an outside air source to a dust collection system? It seems that the biggest negative regarding outside exhaust is the cost of maintaining temperatutre. If there was a source of outside air close to the dust collection pickup point, you could (hopefully) avoid heating or cooling the shop too much. And believe me, when it's -20 a 1,200 CFM dust collector running for 2 hours will really cool the place off.

Dropout

Ethan, Ive been trying to find a way to blow the dust/chips outside and keep the heat inside for awhile now. and the only thing that I can come up with is ..... put DC out side and run a pipe through the wall with the filter inside..dont know how much good that will do but when it warms up I will give it a try

Puting outside air to the DC will let the DC suck from the outside air and not from the machinery
    Last edited by David Christopher; 02-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Vos View Post
    Good morning everyone.

This may be a silly idea, but what about adding an outside air source to a dust collection system? It seems that the biggest negative regarding outside exhaust is the cost of maintaining temperatutre. If there was a source of outside air close to the dust collection pickup point, you could (hopefully) avoid heating or cooling the shop too much. And believe me, when it's -20 a 1,200 CFM dust collector running for 2 hours will really cool the place off.
    Interesting idea, but the complexity of piping in a "fresh air" feed to all your DC intakes seems to be a little too much, and it also IMO would add more restriction to the airflow of your DC system.

Another option would be to construct a 'heat exchanger' where the air flowing out of your DC (to outside) would be able to warm the incoming air (from outside) before it got into your shop.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I guess that I really dont understand what you are wanting to do here.. What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to bring fresh air into the shop? Do you just want to vent outside and eliminate filters? do you want the DC outside but the return air to come back into my shop?
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Vos View Post
    Good morning everyone.
    If there was a source of outside air close to the dust collection pickup point, you could (hopefully) avoid heating or cooling the shop too much.
    Dropout
    That is exactly how some exhaust hoods are made to operate.
    This system is not practical for use on anything but an exhaust hood. Would not work well at a workshop workstation.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

You would need to have a fresh air intake on each and every machine that has a DC hookup. Not all machines would be able to do this, jointer for instance.

If you use a cyclone you can mount the cyclone outside and the return air filters inside then mount a rotary gate on the bottom of the cyclone. It forms an airtight seal but has a rotary component in it that will dump the dust and chips out the bottom. You just have to go out everyonce in a while and move the pile or have it dump into a dumpster or trailer.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution