Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cherry demilune (half-round) table

cherry demilune (half-round) table

Hi,

This is my first project post to the Creek; an Xmas gift for the LOML. I picked up some useful tips for building this table from here (around how to bend the apron), and I thought that I would share the results.

I used a variety of joinery on this project; sliding dovetails for the curved aprons to the legs, mortise and tenon for the back apron to the legs, and biscuits for the drawer supports. I'll try to "standardize" a little more in the future. I think I spent as much time building the different jigs for the project as I did on the project itself, but now the next one I make will go faster ;-)

I was going to put on a drawer knob, but my wife voted against it (she likes the "hidden drawer look" (glad I waited and asked). The finish is Watco's and about 7 coats of wipe-on shellac.

Feedback and comments are welcome....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent piece of furniture. Why standardize on the joinery? Go for it!
    Tom

Very nice!

Tom, that is a very nice piece, I'm a big fan of simple elegant form. The cherry looks great.

I would be interested to see more photos of the drawer tie pieces (or whatever it is they are called) which show how they join. I love the "hidden" drawer, and have been thinking of building a similar piece. Also, how did you build the drawer itself, I can't tell how the front joins the sides?

OK, so doesn't tradition allow for a new tool at the completion of a piece for your own home? That's what I tell my wife!

Elegant piece

Simple and perfectly finished. I too would like to see the drawer joinery.

Very nice piece. I am also a fan of the simple but elegant look.

Just a very very nice little table - you did a great job on it.

Very nice grain and color match, and just overall a well done piece. I enjoy seeing all the joinery and special touches - much better than "standardized" construction!

The table is wonderfully done !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

All,

Thanks for the comments.

For those who asked about the drawer construction; I just used dados for the sides into the front and back and glued them. I also routed a 1/2" high x 3/16" deep slot lengthwise in the middle of the drawer sides, and the drawer rides on a thin rail (smoother movement). The drawer is pretty small (about 12" x 12" x 3.5"), so I am not too worried about it pulling apart. I considered sliding dovetails for the drawer too, but could not quite figure a way to cut them into the curved front without raising my dovetail bit way too much in the router (and I have not graduated to "hand cut" dovetails yet).

I have to "fess up" that this was an area that I screwed up. When I cut the dados in the drawer front for the sides, I cut them "through" bottom to top, instead of making stopped dados. I patched it with a small piece of scrap "lamination", so it is hard to see. But I know its there ;-)

Very nice work on the table Tom.
    Great project with lots of different joinery..
    Hope to see more projects in the near future.

Wow, very nice.

At first i thought that was your first project, but then I saw that it was the first one you posted...

So I take it you have some woodworking experience.

Very nice project. Classy indeed.
    Well done. What is the drawer bottom, just plywood?

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Simple design.. great joinery.. excellent end results. Love the drawer bottom BTW...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Nice....if that's your first piece the rest of us are in serious trouble. Oh, and sexiest drawer bottom I ever saw.

Nice job, I really like the hidden drawer.