Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Ordered a Lathe

Just Ordered a Lathe

I just ordered a Jet 1642 - 1 1/2 HP lathe from Amazon through the Sawmill Creek Amazon store. I hope Sawmill Creek gets credited properly.

I have never turned before, but I think I will like it. This is quite a starter lathe, but I don't expect to ever have to replace it.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Congratulations. Turning is unique and can be quite addictive! Have fun with it.

Congrats on taking the big step Rich! I think you made a wise choice and will appreciate the quality of the lathe for years to come!

When is the expected delivery? When you feel up to a road trip - stop in and we'll spent some time on the lathe!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thumbs up uh-oh...

here goes another one right into that...ah, vortex thing you call it? Have fun!

Congrats Rich. Nothing quite like instant gratification when doing a project. I think you made a fine choice and will have years of fun.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Rich, welcome to the dizzy side of woodworking!! Nice choice on the lathe, and you are probably right about not having to upgrade!!

congratulations, Rich, i would take Steve up on is offer, that is very kind of him

Keep in mind that if you change your mind and decide you don't want the lathe that you can always foward it to my house LOL. Congrats on your new toy but remember to post pics when it comes in.
    Donny

Congrats on the new lathe Rich.
    Make sure you give us a pic when you get it set up.

The lathe is scheduled for either Feb 19 or 22 as possible delivery dates.

I appreciate the offer Steve. Maybe we can get together next weekend or the followng. You had a big influence on the lathe I chose. Also, the issues that Grizzly has with the drive on the G0698 and the long delivery time really made my decision much easier.

So far, I picked up the Wolverine sharpening jig, vari-grind, and a set of Harbor freight HSS tools. Slowly, but surely, I will get set up.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Nice! You can get some things turned with that lathe.... Varible speed, reversible..etc etc...nice!
    VincesWoodNWonders

The lathe will be delivered to the paper mill tomorrow. I wont be home as my daughter has UP dive finals tomorrow, so this way I wont have to wait until Monday to get the lathe. When we come home tomorrow night, I will have to go into work to pick up my lathe. My dad has a covered trailer, so it wont be a problem getting it home. I will bring a camera and there will be pictures.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

Congrats Rich. I have a 1642 and really like it!

congrats Rich. My 1642 will be here on Tuesday. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas Day. LOL

Congratulations Rich!

I am sure you will like it. I started out with a Jet 1236, then moved up to the 1642 - 1 1/2, and love it. BTW I used to work for Champion Paper company and visited the UP on many occasions in a town called Ontonagon. I really like the area and the people there were great!

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.