Thread: Workbench vice hardware

Workbench vice hardware

I have gotten caught up in all of the talk about hand tool benches and have decided to either modify my bench, build just a new work surface for it, or build a whole bench. Honestly, if I could afford to by a bench, I would get a Lie-Nielsen.....but I can't. I don't think that even their bench hardware is in my range. Other than the other high end pieces from Benchcrafted, can anyone comment on the components from Woodcraft and Lee Valley? They are both an ugly green color, so I wonder if they are the same stuff? I'm looking at a tail vice and either a QR front vice or maybe Roubo vice with a wood screw. I'm fearful that I will buy inadequate hardware, build a bench around it, and regret it. Isn't there anything between the super high-end and the Asian iffy offerings? Thoughts, please.

My bench has a vice. It is addicted to Lie Nielsen planes. It hides them around the shop and thinks I won't find them and we can keep going on like nothing is wrong...

I got another vise from Lee Valley yesterday and it came in generic packaging with no branding. I believe the one I bought months ago also came packaged like that, so I think they are OEM parts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Brady View Post
    I'm looking at a tail vice and either a QR front vice or maybe Roubo vice with a wood screw. I'm fearful that I will buy inadequate hardware, build a bench around it, and regret it. Isn't there anything between the super high-end and the Asian iffy offerings? Thoughts, please.
    Instead of building the bench around the hardware, why not build a bench that can accept any hardware.

I was just looking at the Benchcrafted dot com offering... how are you at cutting threads in wood.

The benchcrafted looks nice, but it looks to be more suited to the high end.

Maybe it is time to start searching ebay and the yard sales.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, the one thing that I have read consistently about bench building is do not start a bench project without the hardware. The location of various bench components depends on the exact vices you are using. Benchcrafted vices are perhaps the most demanding because you have to allow room for those wheels, the screw, the spacing between the wheel and the screw, etc. Their wagon vice requires breadboard ends. I also want to build the notch for the end vice while I am gluing up the top, so again, I need to have that hardware available before I go too far with the build.

I have a set of LV vise screws and think they work well, and that they look better in real life than in the photos. Maybe they are from a different batch than those photographed. You could always paint them if it bothers you that much. A wooden vise screw would be nice but I'm happy saving the money for something else.

No bench is perfect. Every bench is a series of compromises based on available space, funding, what you think you will build on it, how you like to work, what tools you use, how tall you are, and so on. Pick a design you think will work better for you than what you have now and build it.

Hovey

The Lee Valley vises received good reviews, a friend of mine has used their hardware for years and they're fine, although I doubt they're from the same manufacturer as the current offering.

I've got a LV twin screw and a Tucker, they're awesome but kind of pricey.

Older, used vices are an option. Record quick releases are good for the money. Use caution when getting a split-nut type quick release vintage vise, like the old Columbians, the nut threads wear out and then they're scrap. Don't ask me how I know this.
    Darnell

I have a Record QR in very good shape, although it is the medium size one. It could be a decent end vice, I suppose. Chris Schwarz says he likes a QR vice second only to a wagon vice in the end-vice application. I guess I just like the classic European end vise with dog holes. I've never had one, but used one at Mark Adams' school.

Cheaper American made alternative

I am very happy with my Jorgensen 41012 quick release. American made and pretty reasonable. I buried the rear jaw in the 1 3/4 thick front apron on my bench, and added a thick face to the front jaw. Still opens very wide, with very little racking when only using one side. I have the front wooden jaw longer on one side, aligned with the leg, so I can clamp longer boards vertically. I have a garage sale Columbian (non-quick release) as an end vise.

Woodcraft carries the Jorgensen, it is also available at Amazon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Richard Gonzalez; 02-13-2010 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Added photos

I have a Enco vise at one end and a old used Wilton on the face..

Its just holds the wood while you plane it, for short pieces I could use my B&D WorkMate..

You really dont need a $500 vise..
    Are they nice to use?
    Sure they are but do you need it ?
    I think not..

75% of the planing I do on the bench top, I just use a stop for most of this and 20% I use my front vise but could use wedges on the bench top or clamp it to the apron (side) with some F-Clamps the other 5% I use the Enco front vise I use as a tail vise..
    Last edited by Johnny Kleso; 02-13-2010 at 2:17 AM.
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Installed the LV twin screw on my new bench - At first I thought that the two handles were going to be a pain but I actually like them. The LN twin screw is a bit more difficult to install as the chain drive is mortised into the underside of the front vice jaw. I believe you can still buy a front jaw from them already done -- but this gets $$. The LV chain drive mounts to the front of the jaw and is covered with a nice plate.

It was my understanding that the LN hardware was made in Germany. I know they changed the design of the bench hardware last year but I believe it is still German. The LV twin is made in Canada. I installed a German made tail vice similar to the older style LN unit - about $120 - very nice. You can see this at www.fine-tools.com/spindel.htm

The Jorgensen vice that was rated a best buy in FWW a while back it is also a nice vice. I installed this on another bench - it is not made in the US.

Most of the other hardware comes from China/ Taiwan /and India - and the quality can be hit or mis -- the stuff from Taiwan seem to be the best. I wanted to put in a twin screw so I was limited in my selection -- for 1/2 the price of the LN the LV is still overkill.

I would make my decision prior to starting and have the hardware on hand especially if you are going with any of the single or double screw vices - they all mount differently and require adequate clearance and blocking.

I used a LV twin screw as well, along with on old garage sale Wilton refitted with a wood chop. I was very pleased with the quality of the LV product. The hardware was an integral part of the bench design. I agree with Mike Brady and Tom Godley, figure out your workholding scheme first and design your bench around it. I may still add a wagon vice on the long side opposite the twin screw. The benchcrafted version came out after I was done with my bench.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks for the info and photos, everybody. All very helpfull. Much food for thought.

LN flier in the mailbox today - bold letters under one of the workbenches

"All hardware is made by us"

So the redesigned products are made in the USA not Germany.