Thread: Penn State Dust Cyclone

Penn State Dust Cyclone

I have been away from Sawmill Creek for quite awhile but I have a question.

Does anyone have a Penn State Industries 3.5 horsepower dust cyclone and what is your opinion of it? I am in the initial stages of building a new shop and anticipate installing this DC with partial in floor ducting (to the major tools in the center of the shop).

Any information would be welcome.
    Keith M

I cant speak for the 3.5HP, but I can speak for the 2.5HP. I do have it and I love it. Install and assembly way pretty easy. It has all the suck that I could ever need. As far as customer service, Penn State was real good. I did not get a part so I called them up and they had it sent out that same day. No questions asked. I would buy from them again.
    Chuck

I have been eye-balling PSI's DC's & cyclones for quite a while now! Just waiting for the $$ to pull the trigger! Haven't fully decided on DC vs. cyclone, will either be PSI's DC2000 (2HP) bagged unit or the 2.5 hp Tempest cyclone.

I have spoken with "Bill" from PSI, he is a great man to deal with. You may want to call him. PSI may even have "scratch and dent" models to sell you, they did when I called, but I live ~1 hour away from them, I don't know if the ship the scratch and dent models.

BTW... PSI's site states these "tempest" models are 96" tall, does that include the height of the cylcone & motor only, or is it the height from the bottom of the collection drum up to the top of the motor?

BTW... PSI's site states these "tempest" models are 96" tall, does that include the height of the cylcone & motor only, or is it the height from the bottom of the collection drum up to the top of the motor?

Dave The PSI web site has a manual you can download. But to answer your question it shows the total height to be 94 inches with the standard drum (I think it is 35 gallon) that is from top of motor to the bottom of the drum.
    Keith M

Thanks Chuck. I am leaning toward the 3.5 primarily becuse of the much larger filter area, something around 300 square inches more. That should provide better air flow and fewer cleanings.
    Keith M

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    I have been eye-balling PSI's DC's & cyclones for quite a while now! Just waiting for the $$ to pull the trigger! Haven't fully decided on DC vs. cyclone, will either be PSI's DC2000 (2HP) bagged unit or the 2.5 hp Tempest cyclone.

I have spoken with "Bill" from PSI, he is a great man to deal with. You may want to call him. PSI may even have "scratch and dent" models to sell you, they did when I called, but I live ~1 hour away from them, I don't know if the ship the scratch and dent models.

Definitely go for the Tempest cyclone. It is worth it!!!! I wouldnt give mine up for the world.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Isaacson View Post
    Definitely go for the Tempest cyclone. It is worth it!!!! I wouldnt give mine up for the world.

Thanks Chuck! I've seen pics of your install I believe (I think it was your's anyway) and it looks like a good unit. When I spoke to Bill, he recommended the 142csx (red one), but I have just enough electrical capacity to handle the 2.5 Tempest... bonus time coming up at work, might have to pull the cyclone trigger then!

Keith, thanks, didn't realize you could download the manuals! I've spent a TON of time on their site and never noticed that!