Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC for $3k?

Quote Originally Posted by James Leonard View Post
    Hi Dan

The Colt is one of the routers that has collets from PreciseBits available. These precision collets open up the applications of the router immensely since they transfrom a router into a real precision spindle. I will be using a Porter-Cable 690 on my table. They have 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" collets for that. Check their website (PreciseBits) and see what routers they are currently supporting. If you use 8020 and Geckodrive electronics you will be able to reuse most of the 2' x 3' components except the screws. A 4' x 4' table will probably be R&P.

-James
    Thank you for the info James; I'll have to take another look at the PC lineup (I had a couple and switched to Dewalt, Milwaukee and Bosch a few years ago). Even so, I'd think that PreciseBits would eventually have more collets available. Eh, I should worry about the CNC I'm buying for now.

I am leaning very heavily towards Joe's Hybrid because there seems to be a lot of support for it. An all-in-one purchase sure would be nice though

Gene,
    International shipping is such a hassle, I never do it anymore.

Thank you both,
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Johnson View Post
    I appreciate you posting this - but I also hate it! I was getting closer to settling on Joe's! Just kidding, I definitely appreciate it. I saw their 2'x3' kit, but wasn't aware they had a 4'x4' kit coming. This is one of the companies that's making parts for Joe's Hybrid, right? I really like that the majority of the kit is available for purchase from one place. Oh, and I appreciate you posting links; it makes it much easier for me.

I see you put the Colt in there, would you recommend it? I'm really leaning towards a 2 1/4 hp router (the Hitachi is supposed to be really quiet) or a 3 1/2 hp monster (I love the Milwaukee 5625 in my router table). I own a Colt and like it, but I'd rather use 1/2" shanks (actually wish it was 1/2").

Thank you,
    Dan
    If you are going to do 3d carvings.....you will only need a .25/.125 shank bit, for hogging/roughing a .5 bit...maybe to save time. A majority of smaller machines use a .25/375 bit to cut plys, downshear if no air hold down system is used. The 3.25 router is your best bet, especially if it is variable speed, lots of 3d work does not need high speed cutting...oh and I forgot to mention loss of steps if pushing a bigger bit

My 2 centavos

Gene Crain
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-16-2010 at 1:19 AM.
    Creative Woodwork and Design
    Vector Studio 22

Hi,

Any of these tables will need to be hooked up to a computer full time. Sometimes the computer is built in and hidden, but it is still there. The systems that use Mach3 will use a general purpose DESKTOP computer. Do NOT try to use a laptop with Mach3 it will not generate a uniform pulse train through the parallel port. If you get the Gecko G540 (HIGHLY recommended) you will have a 4 axis driver that will go as low as 3 volts from the parallel port. This can be important for newer computers that don't meet the 5 volt spec. A lot of people build these computers themselves.

-James Leonard
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Crain View Post
    If you are going to do 3d carvings.....you will only need a .25/.125 shank bit, for hogging/roughing a .5 bit...maybe to save time. A majority of smaller machines use a .25/375 bit to cut plys, downshear if no air hold down system is used. The 3.25 router is your best bet, especially if it is variable speed, lots of 3d work does not need high speed cutting...oh and I forgot to mention loss of steps if pushing a bigger bit

My 2 centavos

Gene Crain
    The 3D is going to be down the road (hopefully not too far) but I want to buy compatible parts now so I don't have to redo it later.

It'll be funny putting a tiny bit in a 3 1/2hp router

Thank you,
    Dan
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-16-2010 at 1:20 AM.

Hi,

Any of these tables will need to be hooked up to a computer full time. Sometimes the computer is built in and hidden, but it is still there. The systems that use Mach3 will use a general purpose DESKTOP computer. Do NOT try to use a laptop with Mach3 it will not generate a uniform pulse train through the parallel port. If you get the Gecko G540 (HIGHLY recommended) you will have a 4 axis driver that will go as low as 3 volts from the parallel port. This can be important for newer computers that don't meet the 5 volt spec. A lot of people build these computers themselves.

-James Leonard
    I have our old desktop that I'll be using - it's the only one in the house that has a parallel port I do need to upgrade the RAM.

I'm not totally sold on the G540, I'm thinking more about the BOB and the G201x. But, that will change by morning

Oh, I'm going to go with Joe's kit.

Thank you,
    Dan

I own 2 Shopbot 96X48 machines. One is a used machine 10 years old and the other is new. The older machine has been upraded to the newer style contrller and uns just as good if not better than the new machine.

I'm not totally sold on the G540, I'm thinking more about the BOB and the G201x.

Thank you,
    Dan

The G201 & 201X are as solid as they come.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

I have our old desktop that I'll be using - it's the only one in the house that has a parallel port I do need to upgrade the RAM.

I'm not totally sold on the G540, I'm thinking more about the BOB and the G201x. But, that will change by morning

Oh, I'm going to go with Joe's kit.

Thank you,
    Dan
    All of the Gecko products are outstanding. The G540 is VERY popular since it is essentially unkillable (except for an overvoltage). The only place you are likely to need more than a 3 amp stepper is on the long axis (usually X - gantry movement). The G540 has 4 drivers to allow for two steppers to drive the gantry. This is a fairly elegant solution to the racking problem which will rear its ugly head if you try to drive the gantry from one side instead of the center. The rack and pinion system benefits greatly from this I think.

-James
    Liberty CNC / Sherline / Mach3 / SheetCAM / CorelDraw V12, X3 and X4 / EZ Smart System / DragonCNC / DXFTool

I built a Joe's CNC 4x4 Hybrid for much less than $3000. I am also one of the first bunch to build a Rack & pinion version. The machine was upgraded in a one week time frame using help from my brother and son. Average people can build it in a month of dedicated building.

The rack & pinion system is capable of 1200 IPM rapids but I cut at around 500 IPM with a 1/4" upspiral bit. Cutting area is 49" x 62.5".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmu6u036kw

Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Griggs; 03-02-2010 at 8:38 AM.

Reuben Strangelove Guest
    Here is an analysis I did for a 2' x 3' bolt together (8020 aluminum profiles). I am still waiting for FineLine automation to announce the '4 x 4' rack and pinion kit, but it should not be more than about $800 more expensive, maybe less than that.

2' x 3' bolt together router on CNCZone
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73670

2' x 3' router kit mechanical parts - $1300.00
    http://www.finelineautomation.com/store/show/FLA100-00

electronics - about $600.00
    http://www.finelineautomation.com/st...NC+Electronics

router - Bosch Colt - about $100.00
    http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...4095909&sr=8-5

router mount - about $65.00
    http://www.k2cnc.com/shop/products.asp?cat=31

Collets from PreciseBits - about $70.00
    http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm
    Router Bits from PreciseBits - varies

Software

Mach3 - about $170

CorelDRAW about $150 with a beginners class and a tutorial

DXFTool $59.95

Vectric Cut2D $149.00 (or SheetCAM about $170)

Total = $2663.95

-James Leonard
    That's the machine I built....

I was about to go the cheap route and buy a eBay stepper driver instead of the expensive g540. The price difference was $200! I went with the G540 because I did not want to troubleshoot junk electronics or by accident unplug a motor during operation and blowup the driver chips. Worth it IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images