Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable CNC...

with some of those machines i would do a bit of serious homework, and for the others the size will grow old quick!!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    with some of those machines i would do a bit of serious homework, and for the others the size will grow old quick!!

jim

I've been warned off of a couple of those in that list, and I don't think I'll out grow a 16 x 24, as all I intend to use it for is the construction of ukuleles. Smaller than that might be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    The Zenbot 1624 comes with everything, including Mach 3, for less than $2000. I have a Bosch Colt. What else do I need?
    I may have missed it, but what products are you planning to make?

For starters though:

Dust collection
    Ducting and blast gate(s)
    Bits
    Hold down and clamping

If you don't already have a shop with tools, you'll need all the basics like a screw gun/drill, measuring and squaring tools, table saw, chop saw, sanding and finishing tools, saw horses, material storage/organization, tool organization and storage, perhaps a jointer or planer... the list can go on and on depending on what you plan on making. And bits alone can get you into the $400-$500 range quickly depending on what you're doing.

Then there's the issue of maintaining your job and config data so you need a backup device for your PC. It's not a bank breaker, but you'll spend another $100 on a backup drive unless you already have one.

If I were to take a walk through my garage making notes, I could probably add much more.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

I've been warned off of a couple of those in that list, and I don't think I'll out grow a 16 x 24, as all I intend to use it for is the construction of ukuleles. Smaller than that might be problematic.
    Aha, Uke's. I haven't looked into this, but I assure you a CNC will not make that Uke from start to finish. There will be more tools necessary.

In any event, best of luck to you, but I would suggest you do as I did and start a spreadsheet with items of need, want and associated costs so you have some idea what you're getting into as a whole. It would be a shame to get the machine in the garage and have the wife ask you to stop the spending before you've got everything to build and finish the Uke's.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

More other stuff

Although they state you get everything including Mach, you will still need program to get your gcode and a good CAD program. Some can be open source(free) but I bet you end up with something like Aspire (2K) or its competitors before you are done. My bit collection alone is over 900 and I just have basic sets (I've also broken over 150 in bits over the first 6 months). There are a bunch of guitar affecionados on the list. I am sure they will pipe in. Good Luck in your search. By the way, I built the 'buildyourcnc' Blacktoe and am satisfied with it. The newer version 4 really smokes.

Jerre

Quote Originally Posted by Jerre Griffin View Post
    Although they state you get everything including Mach, you will still need program to get your gcode and a good CAD program. Some can be open source(free) but I bet you end up with something like Aspire (2K) or its competitors before you are done. My bit collection alone is over 900 and I just have basic sets (I've also broken over 150 in bits over the first 6 months). There are a bunch of guitar affecionados on the list. I am sure they will pipe in. Good Luck in your search. By the way, I built the 'buildyourcnc' Blacktoe and am satisfied with it. The newer version 4 really smokes.

Jerre
    I have Rhino 3D, and 3D studio MAX, though they are both several years old. I've already imported some Rhino stuff into the Vcarve demo software. Looks like that'll work. I'll have to check into software for generating G-code. I assumed Rhino would do it, but now I'm not so sure.
    Last edited by Matt Clara; 02-17-2010 at 4:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage View Post
    Aha, Uke's. I haven't looked into this, but I assure you a CNC will not make that Uke from start to finish. There will be more tools necessary.

In any event, best of luck to you, but I would suggest you do as I did and start a spreadsheet with items of need, want and associated costs so you have some idea what you're getting into as a whole. It would be a shame to get the machine in the garage and have the wife ask you to stop the spending before you've got everything to build and finish the Uke's.
    Thanks Bob. I'm already building ukes with typical shop equipment: band saw, thickness sander, belt sander, about a million clamps, and lots of measuring and cutting (and gluing). I'd like to get some of that measuring and cutting down to CNC, and I'd like to shape necks, sound boards and fret boards with CNC. I bet 50% of my time spent building is getting the neck and fret board right, mostly with rasps, files, scrapers and sand paper. The fun goes out of it after about the first three. Then it's just, oh crap, this again.

Oh, and I have visions of putting shallow 3D carvings in the upper bout area, around and above the sound hole. Something like Diego Rivera's murals. I envision starting with 1/4 inch spruce, using the CNC to carve the 3D mural in the top and then cut out the sound hole, turning it over and carving out the lower bout so that area is thin (.065"), and then cutting it to the traditional hourglass shape. After that, I'll add bracing and tone bars myself and glue the top to the sides, which I bend on a hot pipe and let cool in a form with clamps to hold their shape while they cool.
    Last edited by Matt Clara; 02-17-2010 at 4:16 PM.

Thanks Bob. I'm already building ukes with typical shop equipment: band saw, thickness sander, belt sander, about a million clamps, and lots of measuring and cutting (and gluing). I'd like to get some of that measuring and cutting down to CNC, and I'd like to shape necks, sound boards and fret boards with CNC. I bet 50% of my time spent building is getting the neck and fret board right, mostly with rasps, files, scrapers and sand paper. The fun goes out of it after about the first three. Then it's just, oh crap, this again.
    Very cool! Looks like you're for the most part setup so you'll only spend about another grand on accessories.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

9. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Clara View Post
    I understand what's affordable will vary from person to person, but I'm trying to get the lay of the land, and here's what I see so far. As a personal "I might be able to slip this one past the wife" criteria I set $3500 as the ceiling. Feel free to add to the list, or chime in in any way you see fit (the dimensions listed are for travel):

• Modular CNC = $850+ 12 x 11 x 4.5
      S&H = $78
      Extras = electronics

• CNC Shark = $2500 13 x 24 x 4.5
      S&H = $45.95
      Extras = $100 trim router

• Romaxx HS-1 = $2500 12.1 x 19.6 x 3
      S&H = $99
      Extras = router/trim router, software ($$)
    I started out with a worthog found that small was underpowered my multi-cam 5x10 with tool change works with everything. you may want to try online sales lots of shops clossing with great deals on routers

The Zenbot 1624 comes with everything, including Mach 3, for less than $2000. I have a Bosch Colt. What else do I need?
    I know its a small machine and your on a budget, but I would suggest going with there option for the Hitachi m12vc since this will open up the option of using 1/2" tooling. A more powerful router, even on a small machine would let you run with more consistent RPM as well, and would likely last much longer.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I know its a small machine and your on a budget, but I would suggest going with there option for the Hitachi m12vc since this will open up the option of using 1/2" tooling. A more powerful router, even on a small machine would let you run with more consistent RPM as well, and would likely last much longer.
    Yeah, I wrote them about spindle choice just yesterday. They said the Colt works very well, if you're willing to be patient. And then they recommended the Hitachi m12vc (which looks to be a great deal with 2.5 hp vc, for $118).

Thank you, I will budget for it.

updated list of affordable hobbyist cnc routers

I'm adding the fireball at the inexpensive end.

• Fireball V90 = $599+ 12 x 18 x 3
      Base price is $599, but with some upgrades (larger enclosure, better stepper motors) and a mount for the Bosch Colt was $1,263.88
      Extras = laminate trimmer and mount ~$150
      S&H = ?

• Modular CNC = $850+ 12 x 11 x 4.5
      S&H = $78
      Extras = electronics

• Zenbot Mini CNC = $1010 6 x 8 x 2.75 (price includes dremel)
      S&H = $48.92 (to Michigan)

• Zenbot 1216 = $1250 12 x 16 x 4
      S&H = $58.08 (to Michigan)
      Bosch Colt = $100

• Zenbot 1624 = $1650 16 x 24 x 4
      S&H = $84.36 (to Michigan)
      Bosch Colt = $100

• Carvewright = $1800 14 x ? x 5.5
      S&H = $79

• Zenbot 2424 = $2050 24 x 24 x 4
      S&H = $102.15 (to Michigan)

Bosch Colt = $100

• CNC Shark = $2500 13 x 24 x 4.5
      S&H = $45.95
      Extras = $100 trim router

• Romaxx HS-1 = $2500 12.1 x 19.6 x 3
      S&H = $99
      Extras = router/trim router, software ($$)

i have kinda held off on this but there are some less than desirable situations with some of the routers on this list, i would advise anyone to check very carefully and from multiple sources before purchasing.

jim

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    i have kinda held off on this but there are some less than desirable situations with some of the routers on this list, i would advise anyone to check very carefully and from multiple sources before purchasing.

jim
    Do you think I should just remove those ones from the list? It's just that there's no other list like it for wannabe hobbyists like myself, and it's taken multiple searches, as well as some help from here and some plain dumb luck to find them all.

i can truley understand the reasoning for wanting to post all these brands of cnc machines, i have wanted to do this. all forums that i participate in with the exception of the machine company provided forums (one which i moderate) eventually get some company attempt to sell routers using the forum and not paying for advertising, this is best left to the owners of the forums.

personally i try to speak of the routers i have or the routers i have actually seen and feel comfortable about speaking of my views on it from experience. i do know how frustrating it is not to have a store that one can walk into and compare routers, the market is growing and this will happen. when i went cnc (and i had purchased a lot of woodworking equipment by that time) i looked for the following,

1) how easy is it to get support, can i reach 5-10 other owners of the machines quickly and are they happy or realistic about thier experience with the machine. people who own cnc machines are excited to have them and will gladly share thier experience just look at the growth on sawmill creek since last fall!!

2) if the machine builder goes belly up can i buy parts and repair myself or with some reasonable local help keep it alive!!

3) there are only three controllers i trust to have massive support, wincnc (camaster and others, most expensive and is overkill for a table top) shopbot, (widely supported with out question) mach 3 (also widely supported)

4)bearings and rails, this is the make or break for a small router in cost and it is where they cheap out to keep cost low, one of the routers mentioned uses the utility bearings and folded metal to make parts, there are multiple machines that this has proved to be a collosal failure and the company has now absconded with some of the peoples money,

5) realistic expectations of what the router will do for the end user, i knew a fellow once who told me he could squint and see his "honda as a harley"

as long as the purchaser knows this all is good, some of these machines advertise "600 rapid" "100 ipm cut" this is dog a%# slow for me, if you are cutting christmas ornaments fine but a 24x 36 3d would take a day with 1/8th ballnose and 10% step over, i would not accept less than 300
    + for cutting speeds, also remember cutting speeds are related to taking some bit say 1/4" and cutting 1/8th to 1/4 in a straight line, with all the up and down slowdowns a 3d increases this time dramatically, these machines (even the large ones) do not "print 3d, most everyone i have met is dissapointed that it takes so long (no mater how long that is) and eventually gets real with this time issue,

good machines are on the market and some are on that list, there are two new ones coming that i may get one as these are trusted companys, i purchased the carvewright as my first machine, good little machine toooo small for me and i learned that real quick, beacause of the cabinet shop i own i had the income to justify purchasing larger, but if i only had momma's budget to pick with i may have been more careful!!