Thread: For those wanting to add a sub panel in there garage or shop.

Thumbs up For those wanting to add a sub panel in there garage or shop.

Found this cool link for those wanting to attempt the addition of an electrical sub panel in there garage or shop. Check it out below.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...1/overview.htm

Nice find, that gave me some more insight for when I wire up my panel come spring. I noticed he said that his 6 gage wire will hold 50 amps, but to my understanding couldn't 6 gage wire run 60 amps also?

It depends on the length, use and type of insulation really. 6awg is kinda border line when talking 60 or 50 amps. But in general wiring for your house or shop (barring long wire runs) 6 awg could handle 60 amps just fine.

The typical practice (or at least what would be best) is to run wire rated for your sub panel. If its a 100 amp panel run wire rated for 100 amps. You can still install a 60 amp breaker but should someone in the future want to up the breaker size they dont have to tear down walls and what not just to change out the wire.

This is the exact link that got me started in installing my sub panel for my garage shop. Pretty good info.

I ran my 60 amp subpanel with 4/3 stranded w/ground. This way I'm not worried about overpowering my wire.
    Last edited by David B Thornton; 02-11-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Hey, that is the site I used as a reference when I installed my garage workshop sub-panel about 4 years ago. Very helpful information.