Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good deal on a Lathe & stuff, possible gloat

Congrats on a great deal. Just a very rough guess, it looks like easily over $1200 worth of tools and supplies.

Were you wearing a mask when you stole it?

You are wise to pursue your other woodworking goals before you get started turning, because once you start, it's gonna be hard to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    5 years ago you'll look back on this and think, "That $400 was the most expensive $400 I ever spent".

Nice.
    Boy, that's no lie. As we often say over in the turning subforum, welcome to the turning vortex! Do yourself a favor and lose your wallet. Trust me. You have the basics now, but once you get started you'll quickly start learning about all the nifty gadgets that make turning even more enjoyable. That stuff really adds up fast and will make that initial $400 look like chump change.

By the way, you suck. Great deal on a good Craigslist score!

$400........great gloat....but it was just "seed" money. No it won't grow more money but you will wish it would!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Kleinberg View Post
    I figured someday I would get into turning, but I wasn’t quite ready yet . I still wanted to learn how to make band saw boxes, to hand cut dovetails, I have never
    done a frame and panel door and I really,really needed to work on my sharpening skills. So much to do and so little time to do it in.

I made a mistake ….. I looked at craigslist. Why ….. I don’t know why, I really didn’t need anything at this point.
    Soooo, then I found this stuff on craigslist.

Attachment 141535Attachment 141533Attachment 141534Attachment 141536

I didn’t really know the pricing to well, but seemed like a heck of a deal.
    I got ;

Jet mini lathe JML-1014I & stand
    Lee Valley smock
    Nova G3 chuck
    helmet & goggles
    Groz 8” divider
    Sorby bowl thickness thingy
    WoodRiver gouge
    Benjamins Best gouge
    Sorby parting tool
    hand sander thingy
    Pinnacle 5pc Lathe tool set
    4pk abrasive rolls for pen turners
    8” bench grinder w/ 60 & 120 Al grit (white) wheels
    Oneway wolverine grinding jig
    Oneway wolverine vari-grind attachment
    3 Richard Raffan turning books
    8 assorted sized pieces of wood

All for $400. I think I did good .
    If Dave had not beat me to it, yes you would have gotten a YOU SUCK from me, ok you got it anyway. I paid almost 400 for my Jet mini lathe without the stand. I would say this really qualifies as a gloat. Don't forget we do have a turning forum and those guys can help you get started in a hurry, btw it's called a vortex for a reason

Thanks again guys. I have been trying to add this stuff to my inventory and am amazed at the prices on most of this stuff. I really did get a good deal .
    I really don't know anything about turning, except for the one thing I have heard a thousand times "once you start...". That is why I am trying to finish up
    the other projects on my to do list before I start.
    But that lathe is just sitting in my shop calling my name and it is getting harder to resist especially after seeing all the great stuff you guys have turned on your lathes.
    Lori K