Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good deal on a Lathe & stuff, possible gloat

Good deal on a Lathe & stuff, possible gloat

I figured someday I would get into turning, but I wasn’t quite ready yet . I still wanted to learn how to make band saw boxes, to hand cut dovetails, I have never
    done a frame and panel door and I really,really needed to work on my sharpening skills. So much to do and so little time to do it in.

I made a mistake ….. I looked at craigslist. Why ….. I don’t know why, I really didn’t need anything at this point.
    Soooo, then I found this stuff on craigslist.

Lathe_helmet_smock.jpgAll but books.jpgBooks and set.jpgTurning wood.jpg

I didn’t really know the pricing to well, but seemed like a heck of a deal.
    I got ;

Jet mini lathe JML-1014I & stand
    Lee Valley smock
    Nova G3 chuck
    helmet & goggles
    Groz 8” divider
    Sorby bowl thickness thingy
    WoodRiver gouge
    Benjamins Best gouge
    Sorby parting tool
    hand sander thingy
    Pinnacle 5pc Lathe tool set
    4pk abrasive rolls for pen turners
    8” bench grinder w/ 60 & 120 Al grit (white) wheels
    Oneway wolverine grinding jig
    Oneway wolverine vari-grind attachment
    3 Richard Raffan turning books
    8 assorted sized pieces of wood

All for $400. I think I did good .
    Lori K

I think you stole it and looks like a really nice addition to a nice shop, congrats. I will reserve the traditional comment for such a good deal because of gender and the nature of this forum, however if you post this on another popular forum you will get a whole lot of that comment.

You did well. All those "thingies" are expensive new.
    Enjoy.

Thanks guys. I told my husband I was going to post about this purchase and with any luck I would get a couple of "you suck" comments .
    I honestly did not know the deal I was getting until after we saw all the stuff. Without knowing exact pricing on most of these things we were pretty confident
    that it was a good deal. Didn't even really haggle , which is half the fun of craigslist.
    Lori K

do the words "you suck" mean anything...lol.. take that as a positive. That is the same lathe I have. I thought I got a good deal on mine. I gave 199 bux for it brand new in the box out the door. but the extras you got are just well awesome. When I got into wood working and turning etc i used to sit around hoping id win certain auctions and the such and a friend of mine told me "if you were meant to have it, you will" I really believe in this now... so in other words you looked at CL because somewhere somehow you were meant to have it.. Good luck and show us what you turn.

Congrats on the haul, you did very well. Now go introduce yourself down in the turning forum.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Had my wife scored all this stuff for $400, she would have already sent Craig a thank you note.

That Jet lathe looks like just what you needed for hanging shirts on in the shop! At first I thought the shirt was part of the deal but you didn't mention it in the list...
    David DeCristoforo

Lori - that's a fine haul for the $$$$

Some of the stuff still has the Woodcraft stickers on them. Buy enough from them and they are recognizable . . .

See if they have any Intro to Turning classes at a local Woodcraft or any other Woodworking store. I took a class to get the basics and then am playing on my own. They have more advanced classes - but I can't take direction - or so my wife tells me.

Enjoy your new toys.

Jim

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Wow, great gloat. Even better that you didn't even really know it was a gloat when you got it. Show us what you make with it...
    I drink, therefore I am.

5 years ago you'll look back on this and think, "That $400 was the most expensive $400 I ever spent".

Nice.

That reminds me of the deal I got on my Jet mini last spring.

I found a Jet 1014, the stand and a set of Jet mini turning tools on craigslist.

Do you want to know what I paid?

A whopping $150....

The best part of it was everything was BRAND NEW and still in the boxes!

Then to make it even better, I sold my POS Ridgid lathe on craigslist for $175.

Congrats on your gloat!
    Doug

Oh David, 2nd down on the list "Lee Valley Smock" .

Thanks to everyone. I haven't really figured out when I will get to actually use the lathe. As I said, there are a few things I would like to get done before
    I start down that vortex, although I did start reading one of Richards books and watch his DVD that I bought. I will probably push the handcut dovetails to
    the bottom of my to do list.

I would love to take a class, but my back is so bad that I would never make it through more then an hour or 2. Once I get around to it I will try on my own,
    if that doesn't work I will probably talk to the owners of the local Woodcraft and see if he could arrange special training time for me. And of course there is
    always SMC that I could pump for information.

I thought I might start by making some pens. I have a ton of scrap that could be used for the blanks, but I need to (learn to)sharpen the tools I have and
    buy the other things needed for pen making. (mental note)Pens would make great presents for next Christmas.

I was really hoping I would be able to straighten out my garage/workshop so I could park inside by the time the temps go over 100 . That doesn't look like
    it will be happening. Oh well, this is much more fun, and the burn of the steering wheel and seat only hurts for a minute or two.
    Lori K

Quote Originally Posted by Doug W Swanson View Post
    That reminds me of the deal I got on my Jet mini last spring.

I found a Jet 1014, the stand and a set of Jet mini turning tools on craigslist.

Do you want to know what I paid?

A whopping $150....

The best part of it was everything was BRAND NEW and still in the boxes!

Then to make it even better, I sold my POS Ridgid lathe on craigslist for $175.

Congrats on your gloat!
    Doug
    if you wanna talk POS lathe you oughta see my first one... I could actually turn oval pens with it... without having to offcenter the blank.... pure harbor freight special...lol